Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering replacing some front suspension parts as the front end seems a little tired compared to the rear. I suspect the front springs are original. While other front suspension parts have been replaced, I have no history of the springs being done. Therefore, replacement springs, spring perches and insulators would be required. I do have some relatively new KYB shocks. Not sure about the front sway bar parts.

What would the front factory ride height typically be? Other considerations, rear tires are P255/60R/15 and fronts are P215/70R/14. Any comments, recommendations?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I am still using original springs, replaced everything else. Ride height, ride and handling just fine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The cats tend to be saggy in the booty long before teh front gives you problems. I assume you have new rear springs....?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I made the mistake of replacing my OE front springs with ones from Summit Racing that were supposed to lower the car 2 inches. Instead they lowered the car about 5 inches, far too low, as I had to be extremely careful when going over railroad tracks, speed bumps and even coming up my driveway. I rode on them for 2 days, and I eventually had 2.5 coils cut out of my OE springs and put them back on. Now my car sits pretty and there's no more front end wheel gap.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I replaced the rear springs, but as stated above, the original front springs are still on the car.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I replaced the OEM front springs when I put in new Hooker full length headers that hung lower than an older pair (and so bottoming out was more likely). I never realized how soft the originals were until I got the 620 Grab-A-Trak springs, huge difference. Ride height ended up being nearly exactly the same as with OEM when the G-A-T springs were used with 1" aluminum spacers.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I forgot to mention that I'd replaced my rear leaf springs too but that was when I first got the car back in 2009. During my subsequent conversation with Summit Racing they tried to sell me spacers but since that wasn't in my original purchase plan I simply just sent them back to them. The key for me was to lower my front end so it would sort of match up with the rear. As it was the front was noticeably higher by almost 3 inches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, no changes to the rear springs. The fronts just looks too low for me (clearance from the top of the tire to the fender or just call it the fender gap). What I would like to know is the stock ride height on the front. Wondering if a weak front sway bar could be the issue or just some sad front springs or other suspects. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts