Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think I know this Cougar. It lookslike Filed, of WCCC,)'s old cat. If so, it is a solid Cougar.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
He ended the auction.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Green, green, = too much green for me...but evidently someone like it! Nice car otherwise....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Green, green, = too much green for me...but evidently someone like it! Nice car otherwise....
The guy that bought Lin's CJ 'vert apparently liked the combo too!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Good pictures sure help. Wonder if the new owner was unhappy with his purchase? The guy who bought it from us sure liked it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It looks like the new seller has sold other Cougars. My guess is that he decided to try and flip it for a profit.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
He buys and sells a bunch of classic cats. I'm sure he'll do fine on that one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It looks like the new seller has sold other Cougars. My guess is that he decided to try and flip it for a profit.
Yeah, that's exactly it. He finds good deals and flips them (I believe he deals excusively with cougars). He usually gets a very good car at a very good price, and then puts it back on the market. This is a nice conv. (at least from the pics) and he's already over $14K in the auction. He'll make a profit, but the buyer will probably be happy as well.

What I'm curious about is why the original seller didn't let the auction run its course? Especially since it's back on ebay so quickly. You'd think the current bidders saw it a month ago on ebay, so why wouldn't they have used the buy it now option originally? The original seller was asking only $12,500. Very strange, unless the seller needed cash immediately and didn't want to wait. I hope he's not following the new auction on ebay. He's probably not feeling very good right about now.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I actually bought "Jessica" from the guy...at least then he was honest about the car...I thought I flipped alot of cougars until I met him...He does no mechanical work to them and doesnt even clean them up, sure spends alot of money on shipping!!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The high bidder at $14,500. has had 37 bid retractions, How could you explain that?

If I were the seller that would be a CONCERN of mine, for sure.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's not odd at all. A lot of people bid to reveal either the high bid or the reserve price of an item. Then they simply retract their bid.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm aware that SOME do this, I wouldn't go so far as to say LOTS do, but SOME. He/she bid, than sat on the bid for 6 days, then says he/she ENTERED WRONG AMOUNT. I have no clue as to why he/she did this, but if I were the seller, I would have serious concerns about a bidder that retracts so many in 6 months. I have for years watched hundreds of bidders, and this person is by far the worst at retracting I have ever seen. In fact I have found that very few bidders retract at all.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've never retracted a bid either. I thought ebay frowned on this, and would remove a member that has done that much retraction. It is obvious what he is doing. The only thing I can think of is that this does not cost ebay any money, but rather ebay makes money by a user constantly doing this.

When ebay permitted everyone to see who bidded on what auction, I proved to them a guy who was a shill bidder. He had a second account and would bid up his own auctions. The only auctions he ever won were the auctions he bid on that no one bid above. The town was even the same. He made no effort to hide it. And what did ebay do? Nothing of course. Because they get a percentage of the final selling price. A shill bidder only helps ebays bottom line. So my guess is that this behavior actually helps the price of the car climb, since there is a high number sitting out there that everyone bids under. If that didn't happen, then fewer people would bid, the bids would pour into ebay at the last minute, and odds are the high bid would be well below the point where the retracted bid took the bidding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts