Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty sure I have the correct, original for my car but trying to make sure. It is a round knob with a black center and small ring of black outside:

Don,

The WCCC site shows this:

as an assembly as being correct for 67/68 and center console 69. I cannot speak for 67/68, but I believe it is not correct for (console) 69. It might be correct for the non-console, underdash lighter/tray in 69. "Exact replacement for 67-68 dash or 69 center console lighter and lighter socket." is stated. The element/knob alone is stated as for 67-69 without any mention of console or not. Can you comment?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
BTW, just noticing, that it looks like I will lose the additional chrome bezel with grooves much like the knob (on what I assume is an original element) by replacing it (it is bad). I may have to re-think putting a generic element (which works) in its place.

Brought to you by "Mr. no detail is too minsicule to endlessly obsess about". :buck:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The one you mention being from the WCCC site looks the same as the ones I had in my 87 Colony Park wagon. I think Ford used a one ssize fits all for a while. Funny 'cause I see them on fleaBay for the $25 range. I don't think they are that uncommon. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The one you mention being from the WCCC site looks the same as the ones I had in my 87 Colony Park wagon. I think Ford used a one ssize fits all for a while. Funny 'cause I see them on fleaBay for the $25 range. I don't think they are that uncommon. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time
The lighter in my 91 Taurus is similar too.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
To be honest I have always been a little foggy on this one... My 69 with 3000 original miles has the little petite 67-68 lighter and all but one of my used 69 consoles on the shelf have the same, only one has the unit Bob shows. The 69 with no console definitely uses the larger one Bob shoes without doubt. I wonder if the 67-8 version (which is found in many FoMoCo products) is the service replacement part? The one Bob shoes certainly "fits" the look of the interior better... How many of you with original 69's with console have the big vs. small? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
..........and I found that it used the C7ZB-15052-A & C7ZZ-15052-A lighter assembly (as referenced by our WCCC site) in the 1969 Mustang Electrical assembly manual on page 31. (1969 console ash tray knob assembly)
The MPC states that the non console or dash mounted lighter in 1969 used a C8AZ-15052-A lighter assy. and that knob is different again on the 1970 dash mounted lighter D0ZB-15052-A.

The black plastic sided lighter is the 1971+ Ford variety.

I am working on a listing for all of the dash mounted (non-console) ash tray assemblies and lighters for 1969-70 Cougars and Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
What Scott says concurs with what we have on the shelf, in cars, in the yard and what our personal cars show. Every once in awhile I see a non console dash lighter inserted in a console and think to myself "That actually looks more correct". Owners manuals are often misleading with their preproduction pictures. Bet they saved a nickel using the smaller, plain looking mass produced lighter knob. Also... If your element goes out on the 69 non console dash knob, you will not find a replacement as the inner "beauty ring" is part of the element.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Very interesting. I only have the '75 version of the MPC. It shows a D3 part number--which obviously is a replacement number, but it does list the same number for 67-8 (all) and 69 with floor console. I have the "more correct looking" knobs, but no way I can assume they are original to cars.

P.S. Is Orborne going to produce electrical, interior or body assembly manuals for the 69?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So interesting thread guys, thanks for all the posts.

Now, anyone have one of these original elements (working) with the beauty ring they would either sell outright or trade for a new in box generic element?

The element has a chrome ring around it, all chrome with grooves similar to what the knob has:

Thanks,

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts