Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help and advice needed please. Here's my situation :-

I have just rewired my 69 standard with a s/hand underdash harness from a 69 XR7. It is all installed, but unfortunately the tag for the harness with the part number was missing. I have been sent a schematic to assist me with the wiring, and after comparing the harness to the schematic it has transpired that there is a difference in one of the wires which goes from the ignition switch to the cluster connector (block connector with 20 or so pins) in that the schematic shows the wire as being green whereas the harness has a green wire with a red stripe. I am also aware that there are 2 types of cluster (one with a red printed circuit and one with blue).

Are these differences related? If so which cluster goes with which harness??

Hopefully someone out there in cougarland can offer me a definitive answer.

All help on this one will be greatly appreciated.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
889 Posts
cluster colors

The onin my car is a blue-green,I found one at a swap meet that is red.On the outside they look the same.My green one is an early one my car was delivered in 12-31-68.I think the red ones are later.I was told they are different.I havent yet pulled mine out to compare.When I do I'll let you know.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Dan. I am really confused over this. One conclusion that I am beginning to draw is that the earlier type of harness is probably less likely to be represented on the schematic you sent me and therefore I probably need a blue ribbon cluster. Would you agree? Who else might know about this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you got the VIN no. we can figure out the procuction number and see if there were any modifacations or service bullitons

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my cars VIN, but not the VIN of the car which the XR7 harness came from. I don't see how my VIN will help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you ever wish that you hadn't started something? Now I also believe I need to change the wiring under the hood????? Arrrrghhhhh!!!! :) I have emailed Johns Classic Cougars and Kens Cougars to see if either of them have the under hood harness and at what price.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You will need XR7 instrument cluster as well. The XR7 harness includes wiring for ammeter, tacho and oil pressure gauges. The XR7 tacho forms part of the ignition circuit and the car wont run without a working tacho wired in.

Once you have installed the XR7 engine harness you might be able to use the XR7 harness with the standard instrument cluster by joining the tacho wires together

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks leon. I know I need one of these. Should have had it by now but instead I am $150 lighter and someone is $150 dollars richer and laughing at me with no intention of sending the bits. I have found another cluster, but I am aware that there are 2 types of cluster (one with a red printed circuit and one with blue). If I get the wrong one, then my car catches fire apparently. Hence the thread above.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
ok I'm back!!!! The deal with the xr7 clusters and wires has been noted above however I now know that one uses a delete of one of the pegs to cluster. The early blue cluster uses all pegs and the later cluster red ribbon uses a peg delete on cluster connector thats how I match em up now. You have to have all the frt loom as well as dash loom from an xr7 for xr7 dash to work including alt reg and solenoid connections that are all different

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ray,

I really think I need your expertise on this one. I am currently comparing my XR7 schematic to my std schematic in the finest possible detail. Checking every wire for color, and also checking where each one begins and ends noting pin numbers etc. Then ticking them off as I go. So far on the alt regulator the only difference is that the purple resistance wire on the standard becomes a green wire on the XR7. I haven't finished ticking yet though. I have thought about the possibility that my under-dash loom was not from an XR7, but from something else, although I suspect that any other model (sport special or eliminator) probably had XR7 wiring??? Am I right?

My email is [email protected] if it is easier to do this that way. I am beginning to piece this all together now though.

Rob

·
Registered
889 Posts
will this work Ray?Im flustered with clusters

If I have a 69 XR-7 with a BLUE cluster will the RED work if the RED has a delete in the peg then the current wont continue.But if you take a RED cluster and switch to a BLUE cluster then it will cause a short?Does anyone know what circut was deleted in the RED cluster?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
cluster fluster

Ok its not so much a circuit is deleted so much as it picks up current different location than blue clusters. DO NOT and I mean DO NOT try and mate a red to a blue or vice versa. You can however change the ribbons to suit.

·
Registered
889 Posts
OK ,Ray so I can remove the ribbon from the RED one and install the BLUE ribbon on the RED gauge cluster and (hopfully) this should work?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
yes the cluster itself is same its the ribbon thats diff as I recall off hand. I'm sure there are no issues swapping blue XR7 ribbons for RED XR7 ribbons. Obviously we would not want to confuse a blue regular cougar ribbonwith a blue xr7 ribbon though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks Ray things are much much clearer now.

·
Registered
906 Posts
69_cougar_uk

If the 69 XR7 dash cluster you are to receive does not work out, let me know @ [email protected]. If I still have the one we are taking out of our parts car, we can talk, provided it is the right color.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts