Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 XR7 Clevor

My 69 XR7 is for sale to fund a new project. $13000 or reasonable offer.

This 69 XR7 started out life as a Slime green XR7, 2bbl 351 Windsor car. It's been completely gone through and has had almost every mechanical part replaced in the last 2 years. Since it was put back together, it's had all of 2500 miles put on the car. When we started the body had 144000 miles on it.

Powered by a custom built 351cu in "Clevor", backed up with a rebuilt FMX Tranny with a TCI Convertor. Out back sits a freshly built 31spline 9inch rear with 3.50 traction lock. Every single part on the rear axle was replaced with NOS Ford pieces a few months ago, including all the brake work.

The suspension has been completed rebuilt. Up front it has 600lb springs and every ball joint, tie rod end, bushing has been replaced. The entire Power steering system is brand new too. All the fuel lines have been replaced with stainless steel from front to back. There's a new gas tank and sender as well. The rear springs are heavy duty units and KYB shocks are all the way around. The car rides around on 215/60/15's up front and 295/50/15's out back on Cragar Street Star wheels. The rubber is BF Goodrich radial T/A's with 95% tread remaining.

Every piece of weather stripping and rubber on the car has been replaced, all the windows have been rehung, though the drivers door window is misaligned by 1/4 inch. The interior has been completely replaced and the seats are original 69 XR7 seats that are still nice and plyable and plump. The door panels were replaced with 70 XR7 panels due to personal preference. The dash is also in perfect condition as is the carpet which has been replaced along with the headliner.

On the exterior, the car is painted 1998 Chrysler Radiant Fire Red and as you can see, really pops. The vinyl roof was stripped and the holes filled. The rear quarters near the bottom were filled with a minimal amount of filler material to take care of a few minor rust incursions. There is NO rust on this car anywhere. The torque boxes and underbody is in great condition, though dirty as this car is driven and meant to be enjoyed, so although we cleaned the underside we didn't repaint or restore it.

The front grill work and rear taillight grillwork was blacked out. Both bumpers were professionally rechromed and look perfect. All the trim work has been polished.

In the engine bay, the motor is a 351 cu in Windsor block, bored to .030 over and has Forged 9.5:1 Speedpro pistons. The heads are Australian 2v heads with the huge 2.19 intake valves. The heads are covered with extremely rare Ford Motorsport Polished Stud girdle valve covers. The heads also sport 1.73:1 Crane Gold roller rockers. The engine runs a Edelbrock RPM camshaft and uses a rare, polished B&A Smith Track Boss 351 single plane intake manifold. Induction is handled via a Edelbrock 750cfm carb. The engine also has a Polished Edelbrock Victor water pump and a chrome 140amp 1-wire alternator to power anything you could possible ever need. The radiator is a fresh 3-core unit which does a fine job of keeping this monster cool in 110degree Texas heat. The ignition is all MSD, including Billet mechanical advance distributor, blaster 2 coil and 6AL ignition box.

The car is originally an A/C car and does have all the A/C guts under the dash, but we did not replace any of the A/C or heating systems on the car and they are not functional.

The dash was custom built with $800 worth of Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra-lite gauges, including an electronic speedometer, tach, water and tranny temp gauges, Air/Fuel monitors with Left/right operation, fuel gauge, voltmeter and oil pressure gauges. Every gauge in the car is fully functional, along with being nicely backlit at night.

There is well over $15000 worth of work and parts gone into this car and a stack of receipts comes with it. The car was built to be a driver and does that incredibly well. It's a mean street performer, and although it hasn't been on a dyno, It's easily a low-mid 13 second car in the 1/4 on street tires. Being a street driven car, it does have a couple minor rock chips.

This car was the Cover car for the 2002 Cougars & Kittens Calendar, as well as the July 2002 car and has also been used in advertisement material appearing in Mustangs and Fords. It's also in the centerfold of the 2003 Cougars & Kittens Calendar!

Any questions can be emailed to [email protected]

MANY MANY MORE PICS AT http://www.logansgarage.com/xr7

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Logan,
what you find? Must be something pretty nice to restore.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually haven't found anything yet, I just want to be ready to "pounce" when I find the right car...

Haven't run it since the clevor went together... I'd rather be conservative than have someone yell at me for saying otherwise... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Logan!. Are you rely know what you are doing?
If you sell that beauty, will you ever sleep well after do you think??
I regret that I sold my Green 70 Ht, even that I bought a Convertible instead
Whish You good luck anyway!

Tommy
:eek2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey, can you leave the keys in it? And the doors unlocked?

Excuse me, I gotta go to www.cheaptickets.com and "take care of some business"

*Flower Mound ain't THAT far away from Dallas/Ft. Worth airport...*

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swede, I really don't get that attached to my vehicles. I work on the premise that my next project will be superior to this anyway... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Logan
Thats one hell of way to look at it. But I have another way.
-Just buy, never sell-
It´s rather expensive, but mor fun
Agree??
Just one probleme:
One needs more money

·
Registered
28 Posts
Logan, I tell you, if there's one car I've seen on your site and TCCN over the past few years that I've wanted, it's yours. Oh if I only could free up the cash or convince my wife I needed a loan right now...*sigh*

Shannon

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks... It's had alot of effort put into getting "the look" right...

It's pretty hard to make a H code XR7 coupe cool, but ummm, I think I did. :)

Biggest contributors? Nostalgic engine, big fat meaty tires that'll roast on demand, and a paint job that photographs really, really well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I lurk here a lot more than I post obviously, but I've tried to follow your progress with the car, etc. and I'm extremely impressed with the look and the power behind it. You have every right to be proud.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Paint

The paint on this car is a real standout in every picture I have seen. You should see the way it shines under the sun on a bright day. It almost hurts to look at it,in contrast with a clear blue sky...
shane:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the gauges, look like they got leather around them, did you have to do something special to get those gauges in there?

that is a really nice car Logan,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts