Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, about 20 minutes after my right signal stopped working my car decided to lock me out, by freezing the driver's side door button. :rolleyes: So, once I got in (from the other side) and opened the driver's side door I ripped the door panel off. I noticed, well my friend noticed, that the metal thing that the window bolts on had March 12, 1970 stamped on it, meaning I have 70 windows, BUT while I was lubing up the door lock I noticed a wire hooked up to the lock mechanism! And I traced the wire out of the door along with the wires for the light in the door. It looked like there was possibly a cylinoid that the wire was hooked up to, meaning that maybe this car has/had electric door locks? Anyone have any ideas?

Also, were there any 69's that came factory with the 70 glass? I will have to look up my car's build date.

My "original" Cougar, isn't turning out to be so original :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
It don't matter, it's still a Cougar!! :p:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Well, 69 had glue in windows, and 70 had bolt in windows, thats the way you can tell what glass you have in there.

Rick

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theyre bolted windows in the front, thats why theres such a gap between the front and rear windows! Right?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Could be you have 70 doors in there :D
On the drivers side door, is it a metal tag or paper tag (paper in 70)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
69 OR 70 WINDOWS AND DOORS

Yes, the 70 windows had a hole in the bottom of the glass and a bolt ran through it and the pot metal bracket that is attached to the window regulator mechanism. 69 windows were simply glued into the bracket. 70 doors were identical except for the metal ID tag and the rivet holes for the tag. 70 doors should have no holes as they used a paper stick on ID tag. Usually the wires from the latching mechanism were for the "door adjar light on all XR7's and some std. models so optioned. I don't recall any electric door locks that were original. ( I think they were vaccumn operated ) Either way there would be some sort of solenoid/bracket or vaccumn motor/bracket in the door latching/lock area inside the door that would indicate this. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
cmpcpro, if you have 70 door glass and 69 quarter glass the door glass will overlap the quarter glass not leave a gap between them. The 70 quarter glass is shorter than 69 because the rubber seal attaches to it instead of the door glass. mm

·
Registered
96 Posts
70 Doors

I recently changed my 69 doors for 70s. Had electric windows in the 69 and wanted to take those out and put in bolt-on glass. The glue was also coming loose. That's when I found out I also need the 70 quarter windows. The 69 door glass has the weatherstripping attached while the 70 quarter windows have the weatherstripping. Modifiedmark is correct in the window size, the 70 quarter window glass is about 1" narrower than the 69 glass.
Having a March 70 date doesn't necessarily mean you have a 70 door, but that is the timeframe the manufacturers usually changed to the new model year. If they glue in, they're 69 doors, if they bolt in, they're 70s.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Sounds like you've got 70 model glass and possibly after market central locking. Do you have a remote control to unlock the doors and set an alarm?

XR7's and convenience panel cars also have an extra wire in the door running to the door ajar switch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts