Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
767 Posts
There is a tool. Flat metal with a hook cut into it. You slide it under the trim with it flat on the glass and hook the clip to pop/roll the trim out of it. Then go to the next clip.

· Registered
141 Posts
Hey. Not to thread hog but where would you buy this tool? And does it work the same on a 67? Got some cancer around my rear windshield that would be easier to treat without the trim. Just thought it was pressed on and removal would ruin the trim. Maybe this is just the trim around the windows thats crimped on.

Thanks!

· Registered
8,192 Posts
Any place that sells KD tools.

This is similar to the one I use:

Do a Google search for "KD Tools molding".

· Registered
141 Posts
Kay, thanks. I'm probably not gonna get to it today. Think I'm going shopping. Maybe I'll go down to the car. Indisisive as hell this morning/afternoon. But keep me posted on the quality of the tool. I'll probably do this tomarrow-ish.

So that was a yes it's the same on a '67?

· Registered
3,481 Posts
So that was a yes it's the same on a '67?
Yes, it is the same tool. It will remove the chrome trim from the windshield and the rear glass on all 67-73 hardtop Cougars. It does not remove the lower windshield trim piece from a 69-70 as that piece is held on by clips that must be unbolted/unscrewed. NAPA sells the tool for about $14.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

· Registered
8,192 Posts
To remove the bottom windshield trim on a 69-70 you will have to remove the cowl cover. In order to remove the cowl cover, the wipers need to be removed. I have found this to be the best tool for removing wipers, so simple it's crazy:

It's Lisle tool number 65750: http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1239

1 - 11 of 11 Posts