Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I posted a similar inquiry to the wrong forum. Sorry about that. I need help getting my drivers side window back in the track on my 69 convertible. It appears that they are glued in. What should I use to re-glue them? Any ideas? Also, is there a best way to do it? Regulator in the down or up posistion. Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,

David
69 Cougar Conv.
66 T-Bird Conv
65 GTO Conv
70 GTO Judge Conv.
67 Dart GTS Conv.
70 AAR Cuda
2002 Indian Chief Deluxe.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Deleted the duplicate for ya. Anyway, try PM'ing SIXT9COUG, he just did mine for me Saturday, and used some really great stuff, but I don't remember the name.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have done both sides once myself. The first one with blue silicone 13 years ago (rush-job). It didn't line up that well and still lasts great, which I regret now. On the other side The auto glass place had two glues available - "may be removable if needed" and "will never come off". I used the potentially removable and a few years later it came loose. The second time on that window I took out the panels to protect them against the workers and had the auto glass place do the job. I was about $200 with a new power window motor for the rear window and lines up beatifully.

My recommendation is to have a pro do it unless you have a lot of confidence or a skilled friend.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
we just reglued Johns 69 mustang in with stuff from NAPA called oddly enough window cement. suprised me too but they do have it on stock talk to ITOW i am sure he can give you the actual product and cost.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I purchased a 2 part epoxy for use with glass at the local auto parts store. It is holding 1 1/2 years later with no signs of loosening. The key is to completely clean the channel before trying to glue the glass. It is tough to get the channel sufficiently clean that the glass will slide fully into the channel. It just takes patience. You can always go to 70 glass which does not have this problem, since the front glass bolts in.

Steve

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Careful about cleaning the channel out too much. The alignment of the glass in the channel is critical. If not you will never get the "tumble home" (tilt) adjustment correct. As suggested, take it to a pro glass shop. I would recommend removing the door panel, so they don't destroy it. This should save you a few $$ in labor.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Since you have a convertible, who needs the window. :) When my glass came out it was during the summer, and I drove without the glass for at least a month.

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
hi guys i just did both drivers and passenger side windows on my 69 cougar the glue i used is called window weld by 3m it came in a caulking tube so far it has worked good i think it is actually for putting windsheilds in but it sets up and you cant pull the tracks off by hand. this may sound crazy but the way i cleaned my tracks is with a cutting torch you have to be careful though not to get the tracks to hot they will melt !!!! but this will burn the glue out real good , then take a file or air grinder and clean up what is left . i did this in several steps i would burn the glue file or grind out the burnt stuff and burn the glue again . putting the glass back in is a trick, i like to have help when i do this (my girlfreind) or taking them out for that matter. if you want me to list all the details let me know

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use 3M Channel Bond adhesive. I also moderately sandblast the area that goes into the guide and I've also scored lines it it with a Dremel tool cutting wheel. After that I clean the glass thououghly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Read the warning that says do not get on your skin.
It will literally glue your fingers together and the skin will peel off unpleasantly when you pull them apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts