Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know if the 69 and 70 center/drag links are functionally the same? I've read that the 70 is a heavier duty piece, but are they functionally the same? Same hole sizes, spacing, etc? I'm also curious about the differences between the idler arms for power steering and manual steering...anybody know the specific differences? I just pulled the power steering ram, control valve, and pump off of my car and added a manual steering adapter as the first steps toward going to a borgeson integrated power box. While doing the swap, I noticed that my idler arm looks original, so I want to swap it out, too. Before I do, I'd like to know which version will ultimately work the best. If the factory manual center link and idler arm will work better with the borgeson swap, I'll start collecting those parts. Any advice?

As always, thanks for any info!

-Alan
70 standard convertible

·
Registered
913 Posts
I kinda disagree, They are functionally the same, they just have different size tie rod ends, 69 being the smaller. They can be interchanged by switching tie rods for whichever year you want, you can use 69 drag link on a 70 by using a 69 inner and a 70 outer tie rod, or you can use a 70 on 69 by using 70 inner and a 69 outer. All the tie rods have the same thread.
Power st, and manual st, idler arms are different so is the pitman arms. Hope you are really confused now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I think I get it, (more or less). Inner tie rods and drag link need to match year to year. Likewise, pitman arms and idler arms need to match from power or manual set ups. Or is there more to it than that?

One more question...Are some power steering idler arms better quality than others, or are they all essentially the same?

I sure wish I still had my old parts cars. The 69 had manual steering, and the 70 had the power setup. It sure would be nice to be able to look at them side by side.

Thanks for the help.

-Alan

·
Registered
913 Posts
By golly I think you got it! Inner tie rods and drag link need to match year to year. and the outer tie rods need to match year of car.

If you go with OEM or Moog, they are the best, but I have used others with out problems. I think you will like the Borgeson setup. I have a Flaming river rear steer rack non power on my 67, and I am thiking about changing to Borgeson power .

·
Registered
72 Posts
I prefer to use the original style 1-piece idler arm over
the current 2-piece Moog K8158 replacement but they
are very hard to find. The geometry is different on the
K8158 and I was unable to install it without changing
the alignment.

The frame nuts are difficult to install when assembled
because one hides behind the arm stud. If you are
putting them on a 428CJ car, forget it because the
bolts are installed from inside the frame. I'm sure
some bean counter at Moog decided to make this
change to save money but the two-piece version
makes it more difficult to service the oil pan on a
428CJ car.

Bushings may still be available to rebuilt your original
arm. Conversion to a roller bearing setup is also an
option.

Vic Yarberry
Cougars Unlimited
www.cougarsunlimited.net

·
Registered
565 Posts
Now that you have the adapter installed, you are pretty far down that road. Switching to a manual steering drag link will require a manual steering idler arm and manual steering pitman arm. You will not need the adapter anymore though. I converted mine from power to manual and changed everything, I didn't like the idea of having an adapter. Never heard of a problem or failure related to the adapter though.

And then after I thought I was done, Borgeson released their box and busted my budget again! Which is fine, because my tires will make steering all manual a feet of strength.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the borgeson setup will be really nice. Getting rid of the ram and control valve seems like an ideal way to decrease complexity of the system. It's much cheaper than a power rack and pinion, too.

Anybody have good or bad things to say about the borgeson integrated power steering box before I sell off some parts to fund the purchase of one?

Thanks again guys.

-Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts