Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located a 69 XR7, Convertible and wanted some opinions on what a fair price would be for it.

The codes are The Door Plated was worn and hard to read so I may have some incorrect.
9S94H576687

76B C 6B 031 21 6 X

What it needs
New Top
Floors Replaced (rust)
Door Glass (Both)
Repainted (In Primer Currently)
Maybe other trim parts missing Center grill etc..

The car currently has all trim, Bumpers etc removed like someone was ready to repaint. It looked like most was there but I was unable to open the trunk (I could see the tail lights in there) or start the car because the owner was unavailable and I did not have the keys.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Is the bodywork complete as in ready to shoot with paint or is work required? How's the engine bay and suspension? Brakes?

XR7 Convert's are really nice when they're restored...

Once you answer the above, I should be able to give you a generic range, but pictures would help.... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The body does need work. There are several dents and bends that needs to be aligned. Also the doors and hood need to be adjusted they scrape when opened.

The engine compartment looks good the area around the battery is not rusted and neither is the tray. The Engine is dirty but looks complete. The bay itself has some rust but looks like surface rust only.

I am not sure about the breakes but he suspension looked ok. I did not see any parts in bad condition or out of line

Sorry no pictures my camera went on vacation fine and returned broken. :mad:

BTW:
The interior looked good (seats, dash etc...)
The AC is missing the condenser but it looks like the other parts are there. (the bracked is still on the engine)

Let me know if any other info would be helpful

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
from your description my geuss is it is worth maybe 3,000 to 4,000 but i may be a bit high. sounds like you have more going on then just some minor work on the body but any body work depreciates a car greatly. i do all my own so i buy cheap but bodys are the most expensive work on a car very time consuming.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
My feeling on the subject would be closer to a 2000-3000 range, leaning toward the lower end of that range.

If this was a coupe in this condition, they'd be lucky to get 1000 for it. Beyond it being a XR7 vert, it's a nothing special car. The H code engine is nothing special, same story for the rest of the driveline...

So, with it being a convert, and an XR7, that's worth a bit, but the fact that everything that makes it unique or worth while is also very expensive to get back into good condition.

There you have it. My official verdict is, don't pay more than $2500, unless you REALLY want it, but don't go over $3000. Me, I'd probably walk in, offer $1750-2000 and turn around and leave if it wasn't accepted. To get it to decent driver condition, you're looking at damn near $15000 more... after an engine rebuild/resto, body work, paint, interior, tires, brakes, suspension, etc etc etc...

So, at the end of the day, be it next month, or 5 years from now, a vert in that condition will end up costing you near $20k anyway to get it the way you're undoubtedly going to want it in.

·
Registered
448 Posts
XR7 Vert

Do not spend more that $2000 for the car if it is not running and driving, period. I have spent the last 18 months doing a resto on a 69 XR7 convertible and I can tell you from experience that you can expect to put at least $5000-$8000 in it to make it a decent safe reliable car. I figured I could get away with $4000 and my car ran, steered and stopped. I now have about $5000 in it and I did most of the work myself. And I still am not finished!! The problem with Cougars is, for the cost of buying and restoring an XR7 convertible, you can buy one that is already in pretty decent shape. That is why so many Cougars get parted out. The parts are more valuable than the cars themselves. Just last month a 69 428 CJ R XR7 convertible auctioned on ebay and never made it to $8000. It was a pretty solid car, and most of the parts were there. A similar Mustang in the same condition would have brought $20,000. I love my Cougar, and the money is not an issue for me. So if you want it bad enough, buy it. But you will more than likely end up putting more money in it that it will ever be worth. And if you spent the same amount of money you could probably just buy a decent 69 XR7 convertible. Here is the link to the resto diary for my 69 XR7.

http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

Just my opinion,
Paul G.

·
Registered
329 Posts
69 vert

swmpthg I found a 70 XR7 vert he wanted 3500 I said 2000 he said sold. So start at 1800 go to 2200. I spent about 5000 new floor kit inter fenders grade A front fenders left quater new paint new wheels & tires rechrome bumpers new top. My inter is mint motor runs great did nothing to it.Good luck get that camera fixed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd stay in the $2000-$2500 range. Sounds like this is going to be a ground up resto considering you have to do the floors, body, possible engine, suspension, etc. Check the frame rails and torque boxes!!!!This is a convertible, it needs strength!

There's a '69 vert for sale here in FL, about 3 hours away from me and it sounds in about the same shape as the one you are looking at. He's had it for sale for about two months and has lowered the price in the ad to about $4000. He still has it...and I won't drive the 3 hours to see it at that price...I guess consider that a guide..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies.

I talked to the owner today and she was under the impression that the car was in running condition and it only needed a Winshield and top. She did not know that the car had been taken apart. Here is the add

'69 COUGAR CONVERTIBLE
Needs windshield and top.
$2300 Cash. Firm.

She is gioing to have her dad help her try to start the car and let me know if the missing windows are in the trunk or not.

Hopefully things will work out.

If it does can I have my own forum for questions ????? :D

Thanks again for all of the help.

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just purchased a 70 XR7 Vert. I drove it home which was 3½ hours away. It needs a top, the interior is worn but I've seen worse, it has rust in the r/h quarter and in the r/h floor panel, and a small spot of rust on each door, but the body is straight

Other than that, the engine runs great and drives nicely, power top works, a/c blows although not cold, and pretty much everything else works. It was complete and running, and I picked it up for $1500 two months a go. The previous owner had owned it for 23 years.

If she was under the impression it ran and only needed a couple of things, the ball will be in your court. I would offer $1500 to $1800 tops, and break it down for her to show it will cost you the $800 difference from what she is asking to get the car in running street legal condition. Just my .02¢

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
old car price car guide lists a class 4 convert at 3650.00 and a top price as 16,000. to class it as a class 5 car take the top price times it by .12 for a class six by .04. this sounds like a class four maybe a five car but class four more likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts