Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 69 convertible and would like to get some
opinions from the group. The guy who owns it says he bought it from someone who restored it and does not know much about it. It has a rebuilt 302 which the seller says he thought was original but I don't think they offered a 302 in 69, is that correct? Needs front upholstery, all electrical works, 10,000 on engine since rebuild, no rust on underside, top in good shape, cowl does not leak. Take a look at the pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/dinkie63 and let me know what you think and if anything does not look right. Does that look like a 302? What would be a fair price for a vert in this shape? This would be my first Cougar so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
69 vert

Get the Vin number and call Marti Auto Works 623-935-2558 and get a report on that Vehicle.Car looks fair from the pictures speakers in the back of the doors poor now you have holes in the vinyl.You need to redo the front seats thats not hard to do when a pro does It.I myself would start at 1200.00 after I get a look at the floor from under the car. If you cant get their youself mabay someone from this group lives close by.If not get photos of floor and don't rush to buy It .70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
906 Posts
That appears to be a very nice convertible. I'm restoring 3 now, and just parted one. From the pictures, it appears to be worth at least $6,000. The motor is a 351W, and it is a standard convertible. Vin should read 9f92h. The car is a non/ac car with the 20 inch radiator. Being a convertible, it is equipped standard with the decor group. Good luck with it, and the seats aren't exhorbitantly expensive to redo. John's classic Cougars has all of the stuff you should need for it. Let us know how it turns out. Where is it located, anyway? That generally tells a lot about a car.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Hey, those look familiar. Ed sent them to me today also, but I'm interested in a stick. Go to NADAGUIDES.COM and see what the market says and look at how far you want to restore her, or maybe just drive her the way she is. It's not cheap to restore one ( me with 11K and cimbing :D ) My opinion is if you want something that's going to last and pretty much restored, have a bit of patience. They are out there and reasonable too. High prices haven't hit the cougars yet unless it's a GTE or Eliminator. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Steve

(2 months till my first car is on the road again)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Seems like a pretty nice coug. I would look at the commen problem places and base you price off of the options and total condition. Get the Marti Report to verify the cat is original.

By far I can say that if that cat went for 1200 you would be stealing it. From what the pics show me now, it's worth more than that. I don't think six grand is a fair price for a STD cougar, but that all depends on the options. It is a convertible though.

Tad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
turned down

I have seen the pictures of the Cougar and was quoted a price of $8500. I did ask about front seats and convertible top , haven't received an answer as of yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts