Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help.

Jenny and I are starting to plan for connecting vacum lines in the (hopefully) near future. However, I know I do not have a carb spacer ... and as that was one of the many parts I am going to have to replace, I am also missing the vacum tree that comes out of the spacer itself. Can anyone send me a photo of what the correct tree would look like?

The Eliminator has AC, power brakes and obviously the headlight line running to it. If anyone has a tree, spacer or both for a 351W 4bl ... let me know if you want to let one go.

Thanks all ...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eric,

The right thing is a tree fitting (three ports) that goes into the back of the manifold. It is where the brake vacuum booster, headlight vacuum and AC canister vacuum hoses connect. The brake booster line is a 3/8" brake/fuel line sort of hardline which the rubber hose connects to after the line goes under the accelerator linkage.

Bob

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There is a single fitting on the back of the carb spacer (either 2V or 4V). This is where the hose from the PCV valve connects. As Bob said, the fitting for power brakes, headlights etc threads into the manifold.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harry,

Yours looks to me like what the '70's used. Did you have a vacuum tree on the firewall as well (which would be the '70 style)? What was your production date? Mine was 5/7 and the original engine was a 351W-2V.

Here is a picture of the original fitting and brake booster line I was talking about. The fitting below the brass one is for some other option (tilt column maybe?) and I did not use it in the final configuration.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys ... next time I am at the shop, I'll unwrap the engine and give it another chance to set me straight.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No, mine is a 1969. And a friends 69 had the same fitting. No tree on the firewall.
Harry, what is your car's production date? Looks like a change was made at some point in production then as my fitting is original as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My car was built in May 69, but the engine is not the original; it was replaced with another '69 complete unit and AFAIK the intake was part of it.
Here is the block mfg & date stamps.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Huh? My car has had multiple engine combo's over the years but the tree I have is vertically oriented compared to Bob's ( 3 ports thought)...I doubt it's original, but there may be a few variations of the thing...? I wonder if Ca cars maybe had different ones as well...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts