Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 with a351w and an FMX. I rebuilt my motor and want to build my tranny..... Ive found a shift kit and a torque converter but I cant find a ratchet type shifter for the FMX. My other option is to build a C-6 but a tranny guy I talked to said that he didnt know if it would fit. He explained that the small block Cougars had a different front end set up from that of the big blocks. Soooo, if anybody knows of a company that makes a ratchet shifter for an FMX or can shed any light on a tranny swap I would appreciate it Thanks- Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you should switch to a C6. And send me that aftermarket FMX converter right away!!! mm

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can get a C6 with the right bellhousing for small block Ford. No problem.
Driveshaft has to be shortened a bit and you probably have to customize your crossmember a bit.

C6 is a big power hog compared to a FMX.
Unless your running big horsepower (500+) I wouldn't bother with the expense.

Aren't most aftermarket shifters universal?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
69 FMX SHIFT KIT AND CONVERTER

ON THE DISCUSSION ON THE 69 COUGAR W/ FMX VERSES THE C-6.
I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE SAME THING BUT I THINK I WILL STAY WITH THE FMX SINCE MY HP IS ABOUT 400 AND I DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH SHORTENING THE DRIVESHAFT AND CHANGING THE SHIFTER. I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE SHIFT KIT AND THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO UPGRADE THE FMX. THANKS, [email protected]

:1zhelp:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougrrrman,

Just about any of the aftermarket tranny vendors should be able to help you with upgrades for your FMX. Summit Racing can get you just about anything you need. TCI, Trans-dapt, etc all make the parts. They just aren't advertized in the magazines since the FMX hasn't been used much in almost twenty years.

A buddy of mine has a FMX behind his 514 cubic inch stroker motor in his 71 Mach 1, just because 'they' say it shouldn't be done. It is still the same tranny (rebuilt and modified somewhat) that came in his car as a 351C-2V. He just got a different bellhousing for it and off he went. OH, and he's pushing 600hp in this car, running 10.70s with it at 3500#. I'd say that is a testament to the strength of the FMX tranny, wouldn't you?

Do a search through some of the old threads for other posts on FMX trannies. There is a wealth of information in there.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
THANKS EVERYONE. GOOD INFO AND IT WILL BE ALOT CHEAPER TO USE MY FMX AS WELL. ALL THE COUGARS I HAVE HAD WITH THE FMX TRANNY HAVE NEVER LET ME DOWN AND I HAVE HAD TO RE-BUILD ONLY ONE. MY 69 3512V CONVERTIBLE THAT I SHOW SOMETIMES HAS THE ORIGINAL FMX AND NEVER BEEN RE-BUILT AND IT WORKS GREAT ( BUT I COULD USE A SEAL JOB ).

KEEP CRUSING....

1969 CONVERTIBLE
1969 SPRING SPECIAL
1967 VINTAGE TRANS AM RACER

COUGRRRMAN:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts