Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Seems like a Mustang serial # if you ask me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Looks like a 67 Mustang built in San Jose with a 289. Maybe this Cougar needed a VIN & title and someone 'found one'.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Seems like a Mustang serial # if you ask me.
Looks like a 67 Mustang built in San Jose with a 289. Maybe this Cougar needed a VIN & title and someone 'found one'.
You're both right. Also, the 01 in the VIN is the code for a HT. John

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This Cougar was for sale last summer and was discussed here then. The seller is not interested in verifying the VIN.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is another recent thread about this very car as well. Yep, this one has "run away!" written all over it.

Also, interesting about the seller's position on the car Neil. Wonder what his culpability as seller of such a vehicle would be in the eyes of the law. Rob (MrEos), care to comment?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This Cougar was for sale last summer and was discussed here then. The seller is not interested in verifying the VIN.
I'm not surprised about that. He seems like a dealer who somehow got stuck with a car that has messed up paperwork and is now anxious to unload it on whomever he can.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After re-reading the eBay post, he's a title lender who is selling off a repossessed car.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Kinda weird to see non- XR7 door panels & seats as well from what I can tell, non XR7 drivers Dash with a XR7 passenger dash and it has the XR7 center dash buttons. This car is an anomoly to me be it might be able to be had for a song with all of it's issues. Definitely would need a visit to see the true make-up of this car.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not an anomaly, it's a hacked-up mess. The interior inconsistencies could be fixed but the paperwork can't, at least not easily. If someone welded in the 67 hardtop numbers into the fender aprons and put a bogus data plate on it, you'd be in trouble trying to clean it up. I'm not sure it would be legal in many states to do that. It seems to be a 69 standard convertible with a couple XR7 dash pieces added, Mustang seats and Cougar decore group door panels. The trunk lid seems to off a 1968 model. I did not know that they would fit!

I agree with Zogman; if you are in the right place, near the car and can check it out, you might be able to pick up a deal, as long as you don't care about the paperwork. You could probably register it, but you probably wouldn't be able to sell it again for anything but parts. If the convertible quarters are solid and original, that might be the deal maker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts