Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first set of questions since joining so here goes.

I am wanting to put in a tilt column, which i have now. the problem is that the column i have has the shear pins sheared and is missing the rag joint and vacuum motor/relay. Anyway!
First question: What is the difference in the shafts of tilt and non-tilt columns?

2nd is: Can i use the non-tilt rag joint on a tilt column?
:1zhelp: please

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad to see you finally signed up, welcome aboard more midwesterners are great. I cant help with your question but I'm sure someone can. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im not sure either, but welcome aboard. If you frequent ebay, this guy usually has alot of tilt stuff up for auction. Do a seller search for hurley5 or check out the suppliers that list here. Ive bought a few things off ebay from hurley5 and is very good his shipping and returns if anything is broken on shipping.

Here's a link on his auctions

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-...rid=hurley5&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I saw that item myself. It is the correct joint, right? I haven't seen a non-tilt rag joint to know.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I honestly can't say for sure. Perhaps the seller will guarantee it for a tilt? Can't hurt to ask. I will check my shop manual and Interchange book when I get home tonight - maybe one of those will tell if they are different, perhaps even get a P/N! :eek2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SHEAR PINS

Does anyone know where I can get the shear pins for the steering shaft? Or what they are made out of so I could make them? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts