Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing the steering column in a 69 non tilt. Are there spacers that need to be installed between the column mounting bracket and the dash? Pics would be greatly appreciated, thanks Greg

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just finished installing the column to enable a rolling body on a '69 Eliminator. You can see photos on our photobucket site. http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x431/mzqj6r/

In short, no washers in the column to dash area ... but there are insulators in the billet aluminum "spacers" in the mounting hardware. There are three of these and if you don't check them for movement/rattle ... you may wish you had. There are two in front and one in rear. These "spacers" (there may be a more accurate term for these) slide into the mounting bracket that holds the column to the supports. On either side of these are very thin plastic pieces that prevent the spacers from rattling. When I disassembled my column and went through the process of restoring it, several of these crumbled. What I used to re-create them was a 1 gallon milk jug. It may sound funny, but I can't tell the difference once they are cut to shape and installed. Easy to shape and they hold the column tight.

Jen and I look forward to installing our lower dash shortly. I should have it done this evening.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great pics. thanks! All my spacers are in place with insulation. I just thought they were stacked.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I understand from a thread Rob MrEos created a while back that the tilt columns had another set of the spacers Eric describes stacked above the bracket (and on top of the spcers in the bracket).

As a point of interest, these grooved spacers are what allows the column to collapse in a collision. The tube crumples down low and the mounting bracket disengages by virtue of the spacers.

Carry on gentlemen!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts