Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my turn to ask what some will think is a dumb question. What is this sport special I keep hearing about?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That says on standard hardtops only, but my 69 xr7 conv. had those rocker mouldings on it , and the car was unrestored when I got it..Thanks for the link, Tad...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guese what I want to say, is there any other way to tell. I no longer have that car anyway so I can't check anything. I just hate the thought it might have been more rare than I thought it was....

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
THere is a 70 XR7 convertible in Sydney Australia with bullet rocker mouldings that were added by the dealer when the car was sold. Could have happened with yours as well

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sport Specials were a way for Mercury to sell more std. hardtops, much like Ford offered many packages on Mustangs. I do not think the special rocker mouldings came on any other car from the factory, but a good person to check with is Bruce Wallace. He started the Sport Special registry for CCOA abd owns two himself. You can email him at [email protected]. Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, anything is possible. The car was a special order, triple white with every option, so who knows. Like I said I don't have it anymore, so I can't confirm anything..Thanks for the response,gang...

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
the sport special package was an option form the factory but mark or steve can tell you for sure but the bullet rockers are on even some 70 cars as many dealers installed them from leftover stock. and could be on any cougar as they were an over the counter part and since it is a two screw bolt on it was easily accomplished.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Greg. I never heard of the ss package until I saw it here...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, long gone. But thanks for the info...

Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts