Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what makes a Sport Special a Sport Special?? i have been told that the rocker mouldings on my car of that designation and well, is it possible that my car is one as well??? i have no clue and ive always referred to it as a standard, but if it is, i can brag a lil more right? ill try to describe some of the options my car has..... it was a 2bbl 351W ( part of why i just called it a Standard ) it has the deluxe interior, rim blow wheel, racing mirror ( drivers side only ) the sport special mouldings. it had no bumper gaurds when i bought it, but it had some of the clips down there for them, so im assuming when the car was new it had them. it has a clock ( not working ) am / fm radio, tinted glass, vinyl top, errr, what else ... AC, PS, PB, and thats all that i can really think of now. it has shoulder harnesses too, but im not sure if that was an option or not. if someone knows, i would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way, heres a pic of a pic of the car as is when i bought it. not that great, but hey, i dont have a scanner.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ask the man

Have you heard of Marti Auto Works? You should order a Marti Report for your Coug. I have ordered Marti Report's for both of mine. The report is great. It will tell you a lot about your car. There are three different reports I believe all varying in price depending on how detailed you want the report to be. I think they are definitely worth the money!

Here's the website:

http://www.martiauto.com

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would go to Marti Auto Works, but im too poor for the lovely $200 research on my car. ( i really want that door tag though.. ) will it say if its a sport special on the buid sheet?? i found mine under the carpet about a year ago and now have it stored inside. its really funky looking ( and smelling ) but most of it can still be read.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Here is a link to explain the Sport Special a little for you. Its not something thats really much to brag about. Its basically just a option package that includes some nice options grouped together with a "nicer" price tag for them. Ford used value priced option packages forever, the other popular one that first pops into mind was the Explorer packages for the F150 pickups in around 73. They had the fancy wheel covers, tape stripes, better seat etc, which made a nicer package than the standard "custom cab" for not alot more money but not quite up with the XLT Lariot.

The Sports Special package was kind of like that. A little nicer than the regular standard, but still below the top of the line and more expensive XR7. I think mostly its a little unique because it was a one year only option. mm

http://www.cougarclub.org/ss.shtml

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so basically mine would not be one because of the fact that i dont have the turbine wheel covers?? i have the mouldings, the deluxe interior, the remote racing mirror, and i did have a body stripe on the car that i saw when i was removeing paint on the front fender. it looked a bit different though than the one on that page. the wheel covers i had originally were errrr, ill post a pic with this, but its kinda hard to see. is there any way that i can positively ID this car as one without having to get a marti report or something?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hell I dont know for sure how you could tell. I know mine is because I have a copy of the original dealer invoice. Just because your car didnt have the turbine wheel covers on it dosnt mean squat, I dont have em for mine either. If you have the bullit rockers and it was the orignal paint on the car with the mid body stripe on it I would say that more than likely yours is a sport special. If you noticed there were four different sport special packages listed but they all had the body stripe, racing mirror, turbine wheel covers and bullit rockers. Mine happend to be the D package. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess maybe i have the B package then. my car has the deluxe interior and the mouldings with the remote racing mirror. there was a stripe on the car as well. so maybe it was. whats part of teh handling package though?? yeah yeah yeah, i know im asking alot, but not much going on around here today :1poke:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I know the handleing package came with F 70 belted tires, probably a bigger swaybar. Maybe someone else knows if it came with anything else.mm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts