Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to remove and replace the chrome trim along with the weatherstrip on both the drivers & passenger side windows on my XR-7 vert. How do I go about getting the old bangged up ones off without chipping or breaking the glass in order to put the replacments on?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
When the window is rolled all the way down, it rests on a rubber pad at about mid-door. If you remove that pad (carefully, so as to not rip it's mounting nubs), you can get another 1/2" of window roll down, which should be enough to get at all the trim screws. You can also try tilting the window with the adjusters on the bottom of the door if you need just a little more screwdriver space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually refering to the chrome trim with weatherstrip that seperates the front from the rear glass. Any idea on removal of this piece? It has the rubber weatherstrip that usually dry rots.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Oh... that's much easier.

There is a screw near the bottom of the weatherstrip. Remove that and the rubber will slide down out of the channel. It might need a little coaxing, but since you're replacing it, no need to be gentle.

If you want to replace the chrome (stainless steel?) part, you'll need to get 1969XR7Vert 's attention. I think he's done that. I think it is epoxied to the glass and probably very difficult to remove without chipping/breaking the glass.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Find a Very Slim flat-Head Screw Driver and slowly insert into bottom end, working it a little to start sliding in between Stainless Trim and Glass, Flat between the 2. VERY GENTLY Pry with the Flat End towards Glass, pulling UP on Handle, NOT Down with handle towards glass. The Trim will slowly start to separate from the glass and about halfway you will be able to GENTLY tug it the rest of the way off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts