Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a '69 convertible and the seat belt light goes on when it feels like it. I'm assuming it's the relay however I can't seem to find it. I looked into some old posts and one said the relay was located by the e-brake above the fuse box {nope} then another suggested the cowling by the steering column {not there either}. I found something that looked like the relay behind the radio, heater switches etc. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Check above the e-brake & fuse box again. It's attached to the underside of the metal dash/cowl, not the firewall. Here's a picture which might help, except that everything has been removed so it's a lot easier to see the relay. The brake light relay is the long, skinny one on the right. The center one is low fuel relay, and the one on left is circuit breaker. The fuse box would go where that square hole is in the firewall.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If it is not where Rob illustrates, on later cars they put these three items on an L bracket which is screwed to the lower dash in the vicinity of the radio/AC/heater controls, a little to their left as I recall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're right, I located the relay behind the heater a/c switches. It's going to require a triple jointed wrist to get at it. If I tap the relay it actually works for about 3 times going off and on with the ignition. Can I get to the relay by pulling out the heater/ac switch panel from the front of the dash?

Thanks for your quick replies by the way

Jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the Ford show at Carlisle this weekend and picked up a relay along with some advice. I found the L-bracket that 1969XR7vert was talking about and it was fastened to the lower dash by a 1/4" nut. I loosened the bracket and brought the whole assembly down where I could look at it and easily replace the relay. I did all this to avoid pulling the dash, so last night as it was getting dark I put on my lights and noticed my speedo and tach lights don't work. The fun of owning a 43 year old car, well I need to replace the clock lens anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I went to the Ford show at Carlisle this weekend...
Jack,

Glad you got the relay sorted out. My wife, myself and my car were at the show, did you visit the cars at all?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I belong to the local cougar club from NJ, so I was hanging out with them along with cougar people from VA and MD. I checked out some of the non-cougars as well, I like the older birds from the 50's to mid 60's. I envy that your wife is into cars, she's rare.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It occurred to me, {delayed intelligence} that I probably met or know you. I use a different ID when I Post to forums. I didn't bring my car, the rains or the potential scared me from taking the car.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It occurred to me, {delayed intelligence} that I probably met or know you. I use a different ID when I Post to forums. I didn't bring my car, the rains or the potential scared me from taking the car.
Who, Me? If you met me it would have likely been by my car since that was where I was 95% of the time. Can you remind me how I would remember you? Oh and rain doesn't scare Isabel!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember your car. You have Foose wheels. My car looks similar to yours only it's very yellow. I don't know if you would remember me, I'm just an average 59 year old. I had the cougar nationals shirt on and jeans but so did most of the other guys. I was at the tent from mid afternoon until 6pm on sat. if that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okey Doke, well you got me and the car right! Hope to officially make your acquaintance next time around!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts