Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a sticky lifter on a 69 SCJ with 39,000 miles, most of it 1/4 mile at a time. If my oil pressure is good, should I still go ahead and replace the cam with the lifters. Was going to do springs while I had it apart.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You should not have to replace the cam if you are replacing with brand new lifters. I suggest you purchase anti-pump-up or as some call them high-rev lifters as they are good for another 500 rpm or so. I would inspect the cam for any flat lobes tho.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I wouldn't make that decision until you have it apart and see what you have for sure. If the lifters are rotating and not showing wear on the bottom, then no need to pull the cam and change it. The lifters might only need to be cleaned. They can get sticky from sitting not running for a long period of time, or debris can to caught in the check ball area causing them to be noisy. Lifters are a good oil filter. If that is the case I would be more then happy to inspect/clean them for you ( I work for a lifter company). Make sure you number them when removing, so they can go back into the same location.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian:thanks for the kind offer. I began to take things apart, and found that the spark plug boot was not in contact with the spark plug on the cylinder that was the noisy one. In an effort to avoid removing the intake, I am going to retry everything with the spark plug boot problem rectified. If still noisy, let the disassembly begin.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Joe,

No reason you can't locate the sticky lifter, pull it, dissasemble and clean it, put it back in......

Change to synthetic oil......

Steve

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Are you 100% it's not a small exhaust leak? They can sound like a lifter - especially under load. Synthetic oil will wipe out a flat tappet cam in short order. See if you can narrow it down by using a mechanic's stethoscope (grandpa version is just a brass rod he put up against his ear! - but it woks). That will give you a pretty good idea of where it's at. If you have one that isn't pumping up you might try running a cleaner through the system before your next oil change (grandpa used diesel here) to see if you can get lucky. Most likely it's collapsed/clogged, or worst case.....cam worn. Check your PR's for straight too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts