Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a project car, I got a call today about a 69 xr7 and I'm told it is a s code. The guy calling wants the engine and trans. Fine by me but was just wondering if any were rarer than others. I'm waitng for # and some further info on condition but for the money he's talking I will probably pick it up anyway even for a parts car. Just wanting to know if there is anything in particular i need too look for or if most were not anything special? I guess its burgandy leather and a c-6. I guess I just havent heard of many intieriors that color and was wondering. mm

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey, I was just on Ebay and there was a 69 conv w/390. I know that is a bit diff, but it said that it was 1 of 102 I think. It said what the combo was, but I forget already.
Also, a couple of years ago in Ohio i was looking at buying a 69conv with a 390 and it had the burgundy interior.

So, to answer your question, I have no idea, but I am also interested in knowing.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I dont know either, but the guy should be back to me in a day or two. It may not matter as he wants the engine for his car.

We will see, I just hope I have time to get it when the time comes. About a 4 hr drive. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, 69 XR7 coupe production was split almost 50/50 in terms of big block/small block production numbers... There were 23,914 XR7 coupes in 69...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your probably right Logan, as my brother tells me the 390 was pretty common in the 69 Mustangs. mm

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
CBTN lists for the XR7 hard top;
with C6, 1325
with 3 speed stick, 23
with w.r.4speed, 110
wirh c.r.4speed, 104

total all 69 with 390=3055.

Basicly the XR7 H.T. with a 390 C6 = less than 1% of 69 production. neal.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
badcatt, can you add up the total big block production for XR7 coupes? Wanna see if I'm right or not, If there was only 3055 390's, then I must be wrong... There can't of been much more than a couple thousand 428 XR7's...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Logan,
About half of the 69 Cougars that recieved the 390 4V were XR7 hard tops. 1562 XR7 hard tops recieved the 390. My 69 standard with the 390 4V & C6 is 1 of 676. I added up the 69 Cougars with the 428CJs, a total of 1540 cj cougars were made for the 69 model year. I lost my copy of Mustangs by the numbers but I'm sure not a lot of Mustangs got the 390. Neal.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if there were 1325 with the c-6 its kinda unique, maybe the burgandy int is rare too? mm

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Mark, the book lists int. trim with paint color so its kind of hard to get a total. If you can post the paint code or color I can look it up. but not with the engine as part of the equation. Neal

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, good. I'm just waiting for the guy to get back with me. I'll call him Sunday if no word from him but he sounded like he works 2 jobs so I dont want to hurry him. mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts