Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the steering wheel apart on my 69 XR7 for painting and to see why the horn doesn't work. When I got the 3-spoke cover off, I thought WOW, this is going to be EASY - the rim blow switch was disconnected! Then I found out WHY the switch was disconnected. As soon as I touched both wires to their corresponding connectors, the horn started blowing nonstop.

There was an inch or so of the two copper strips hanging out of one end of the rubber and they were smashed together. When I separated them, the horn stopped. I took the entire rubber switch out of the steering wheel groove. It came out fairly easily and is in good shape - no cracks, kinks, still pliable, etc. I hooked up the connectors and tried the horn again. I got a dull, almost imperceptible sound from a few spots, no response from most spots, but a real HONK only from one spot at about 5 oclock.

I see that replacement switches can be bought at a few places on the internet for anywhere from $110 to over $200. So I have three questions:

1. Can the exisiting rim blow switch be fixed, or is it junk?
2. Is there a good/better/best replacement switch that would justify the price differences?
3. Has anyone ever tried mounting some different type of horn pressure switch under the 3-spoke cover, rather than spending over 100 bucks on a new switch? :confused:

Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, the switch is junk and no I never heard of anyone putting something in the pad although anything is possible. One thought that comes to mind is spring mounting the center, but the center is awfully small/recessed to be used as a button. Hogging out the pad in multiple spots and properly mounting three or more switches so they could be properly actuated sounds kludgy as well, but maybe if you could spring mount the pad bezel and have the switches worked by the bezel.

In the end, the repro switch won't look so expensive if you consider what it would take to make an alternative means of actuating the horns.

As for which switch is best, I believe Chinese is the only game in town, not sure if there is more than one manufacturers unit out there. Check WCCC's site would be my suggestion, they are very good about telling you what there is and what they sell, even if it is not the greatest, disclosure of what you would be getting is practically unheard of in this day and age.

So says the ECI.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I say nurse that used one as long as possible, DC will come out with a spot on unit in time (like their 70 switch). Thanks for the plug Bob!

Description:
Made in Taiwan. Not the best quality or fit. No returns on this item.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 73 rim blow horn I sprayed some electrical connector cleaner on it the ends of the rim blow copper tabs while attached to power and after a few applications the horn came back around and is loud and clear. It couldn't hurt to try it if you haven't already.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll pass on the boat horn and just try the connector cleaner. If that doesn't do it, maybe I'll mount a temporary cheap horn button under the dash until somebody comes out with a better/cheaper repro switch.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 73 rim blow horn I sprayed some electrical connector cleaner on it the ends of the rim blow copper tabs while attached to power and after a few applications the horn came back around and is loud and clear. It couldn't hurt to try it if you haven't already.
I like this idea, and since the switch is hollow (and open on the ends?), you should be able to shoot down the tube and get it throughout the switch contact area, it just might work! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a couple spare rim blow horns I'll see if in the next week or so if I can get one of them working? What color is your wheel? I think I have brown and black spare ones. If you need it, want it, and I can get it working we can work out a price/trade later.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have a couple spare rim blow horns I'll see if in the next week or so if I can get one of them working? What color is your wheel? I think I have brown and black spare ones. If you need it, want it, and I can get it working we can work out a price/trade later.
You know that 69 wheels are not the same as 70 and 71-73, right?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
69 was always black, 70-74 was color coded to the wheel, all service replacement switches are black 69-74.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I tried the contact cleaner and it still doesn't work well. It feels like it may have gotten pinched in a couple spots. Let me know if you get a black one working and how much you want for it. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry I checked and wasn't able to find a black one. only two saddle.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...If that doesn't do it, maybe I'll mount a temporary cheap horn button under the dash until somebody comes out with a better/cheaper repro switch...
So Don,

In your educated opinion, is this the best course of action at this time? Avoid the chinese ones altogether? And they are the only game in town, for '69 currently correct?

P.S. Any luck on the 77-79 sail panel emblems we spoke of?

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
So Don,

In your educated opinion, is this the best course of action at this time? Avoid the Chinese ones altogether? And they are the only game in town, for '69 currently correct?

Regards,

Bob
$100 is a lot to drop on a strip of rubber that will last 40 years, $100 for one that might only last a month is ridiculous!!! I say pepper Daniel Carpenter with emails until he relents and bumps the project to the top of the pile... What is even worse is now the 69 rimblow is reproduced but we have to tell people, "Sorry... No Switch".
<center> </center>
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I guess that the cheap horn button hidden under the dash is going to be the best option at this time......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts