Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
"has the drive train but no engine or transmission are included" "just needs a little TLC" ROFLMAO

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
"has the drive train but no engine or transmission are included" "just needs a little TLC" ROFLMAO
What's so funny Al? The shifter had a "D" on it and he is throwing in a model railroad engine to sweeten the deal, seems perfectly legit to me! :bong:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Actually it is legit. Been for sale for about a year now. It is located in Evansville IN and I have the guys number. Tried to make a deal with him a couple of times and couldn't come to terms. I assume he is still the owner and not someone else selling it. The story is it was his high school car. Sold it to a relative that pulled the motor which is MIA and got the car back less motor and been sitting for a few years now. Basically, figure a full restore with most parts missing so you are really paying for the body and vin#. I was in Evansville back in April but couldn't get in contact with him at the time to view it. He also had another 69 std to go with it for parts. You can see it parked behind the Cougar in the photo. I shyed away some as he kept saying how nice the body was, but would never send detail picture of proof to show it. Most of the cars survive pretty good in that area, but you can see the condition as how it has been stored from the photo. One I would recommed seeing in person or some really good photo's before spending money on it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just an on line dealer. If you go to the web site under classic cars and search for Cougars you will see it is located in Mt Vernon which is by Evansville IN.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Actually it is legit...
Brian, I guess it is just hard for me to accept any car missing something as major as the drivetrain as being worth $7500. But I guess economically speaking, given what a complete, restored car of this type would be worth, maybe it isn't so crazy afterall?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I know it's hard to believe but even I, on occasion, have found myself victim of outbursting at what sound like rediculous pricing... ;)

Truth is that any old car is worth exactly the price that a buyer and seller agree to. Some sellers utilize different strategies and start real high expecting to get low balled and some people simply put a different level of value on certain items. In this case, It seems like a hell of a car and although not numbers matching, it's an R code and that gives it some weight. I wish the seller all kinda of luck and I hope it finds a great home to be born again. I wont pay $7500 for it but I bet there are some buyers out there who would and I hope they hook up.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
He will actually come down a long ways from that price, but not to a point where I felt like making a special trip to view it. I just don't see how the condition can be as good as he describes it to be judging from the poor quality pictures and lack of effort to take better ones.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I know it's hard to believe but even I, on occasion, have found myself victim of outbursting at what sound like rediculous pricing... ;)...
Me too, I am very conservative/quiet and usually keep what's on my mind to myself... :buck:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would be willing to check it out if anyone is interested. I work in Evansville. If it is like the 427 the guy I bought mine from, then it is going to be worth a lot less than what he wants. The guy I bought mine from was insisting on 5k for an xr7 with no driveline, shot interior and the car has been sitting with one wheel jacked up on a stump for 4 or 5 years, i guess to make it look cool. But seriously, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to check out any car in the Henderson, Evansville, Owensboro areas.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wow, that car is a mess! Rusty, missing engine and trans, needs absolutely everything restored, barely rolls at best, etc. I remember years ago, you could pick up something like that up for less than $2000. Then car prices went to the moon, and suddenly every 428CJ or Boss 302 rusting hulk became priceless. I think reality has set back into the car hobby. I'm guessing that $3000 to $4000 is a more realistic price, unless it has some really rare options like 4 speed, drag pak, sunroof, etc. Complete project cars (with that rare engine) should be in $10K to $15K range. Restored CJ or Boss cars now seem to start @ $25K and go up from there, depending on options, color, restoration quality, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's in the 5000 range now. Thought is was a 4 speed car as well, But all the goodies are gone. Not sure on the 9 inch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts