Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Had my aprons replaced and have lost the mounting holes for the proportioning valve !
Just want to get it in the right place, can anyone provide the correct locations for the two mounting holes and the alignment hole? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Richard,

I have the information you need and managed to take a picture of the area you are concerned with on the piece before I left for work this morning. I will respond further with two measurements for each hole, measurements from the two bottom hood hinge threaded insert holes so you can "triangulate" the correct locations of the three holes.

Guessing the new aprons must not be completely correct or you would have enough to go on. The reason I say this is there is a raised oblong oval area where the two mounting holes are located. If your new panel has this, it should be a simple matter to make two holes at the proper spacing for the block there.

The third hole is just a clearance hole for the bolt for the clamp which mounts the proportioning valve.

In any case, here is the picture and I will post further this evening with dimensions for you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Update: Sorry, I did not get the opportunity to make the promised measurements for you last night and I am going away for the weekend. I will get the measurements and post them on Tuesday if you still need them.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bob! Thanks for the picture, just what I need! Would appreciate the measurements as well if you could? The new apron is a repro part and has a shaped area but i would like to get it right! Thanks again
Richard

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Bob! Thanks for the picture, just what I need! Would appreciate the measurements as well if you could? The new apron is a repro part and has a shaped area but i would like to get it right! Thanks again
Richard
No problem Richard, I will get those measurements for you tonight, I was waiting to hear back from you before I went to the trouble. I will provide you with the diameter of each of the three holes and then two measurements for each hole, from the center of each of the two lower hood hinge bolt holes to the center of the holes you are looking to make.

Oh, and I'll provide the distance of each of the three holes to each other for a sanity check.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okay Richard, here you go:

From the rear, bottom hinge bolt hole, 6 3/8" to the top mounting hole, 7 1/4" to the bottom mounting hole and 8 1/8" to the clearance hole for the prop valve clamp bolt (which is toward the front of the car, more forward than the mounting holes, down and to the right looking at it straight on from the engine compartment side).

From the front, bottom hinge bolt hole, 6 11/16" to the top mounting hole, 7 1/2" to the bottom mounting hole and 8" to the clearance hole for the prop valve clamp bolt.

The top and bottom mounting holes are 3/8" diameter and there is 7/8" between them. The clearance hole for the prop valve clamp bolt is 9/16" diameter (poorly, hand made by a line worker from what I can see) and it is 1" from the bottom mounting hole.

So you should take the first measurements and make initial pencil or grease crayon marks for the holes and do the same for the second measurements, where the two cross is the center of your holes.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Glad to help Richard.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Looking good Richard! It is a brave man that puts the engine/trans in with the fenders on the car. Good luck brother!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts