Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of us I'm trying to get the play out of the steering - but need some help/advice. For starters - how do you get the cover off the top of the steering gear box? Seems simple - take out the three bolts but it won't budge. Does the 'adjusting' screw need to come out, and if so how - just unscrew it? Not sure how that fits inside and the shop manuals provide no info so if someone here can share what they know that would be great. And whats up with that small 'plug' on the top - is oil or grease supposed to go in there? I'm thinking a good inspection and a new packing of grease in the steering gear box would be a great idea. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - that is an informative site - thanks! By the way though it didn't actually address how you get the top cover off or show enough detail about how the adjustment screw is attached/removed from the top of the sector shaft - any ideas?

70 Cougar - I did a control valve last year - pretty easy as I recall. Suggest your rebuild kit include new hose seats.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Wow - that is an informative site - thanks! By the way though it didn't actually address how you get the top cover off or show enough detail about how the adjustment screw is attached/removed from the top of the sector shaft - any ideas?

<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="220"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td>Yes, you could call or

</td></tr></tbody></table>
the site. I'll bet they would tell you how then you can tell us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts