Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening , i have a 69 mercury cougar with disk brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear . I would like to convert the rear to disk as well . I am good with a wrench but i have never done a brake conversion before . I did some searching on this site and a few links mention that he brake pedal needs to be replaced on some conversions. Would that be the case for me as well seeing as i already have disk in the front. What i would like to know is whats the conversion kit most use? Also is there any videos that any of you guys recommend on doing this. Finally how straight forward of a job is this ...definitely don't want to open a can of worms . The main reason i want to do the conversion is because i am tired of the drum cylinders in the rear wheels leaking after a year or so . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello guys, can anybody help point me in the right direction with this question?? I would really appreciate the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
The forum seems a bit barren these days. I have not been here in years, but since we have a very cool cat in common, I will try to help with your question.
The kit you are looking for is fairly common as it is used for Mustang conversions. Helped a buddy put one in long ago and don't remember anything especially challenging about it, just removing old parts and installing new. One man job if you have a brake bleeder, prob 2 hours per side with cleaning. Since you have front disk the peddle change in not needed (I think), but I do remember a proportioning valve install, just not sure if that was part of his kit or he just wanted it.
A DuckDuckGo search should turn up a few options. I think his kit was from Turner.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I will tell you what I used. Willwood front and rear disc set up, works great with drum brake conversion. I used the heavy duty fronts with vented rotors. Uses drum brake,spindles. Saves close to 32 lbs total weight. Ck out my You Tube channel please subscribe and share. Just changed over to 5/8 studs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts