Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening , i have a 69 mercury cougar with disk brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear . I would like to convert the rear to disk as well . I am good with a wrench but i have never done a brake conversion before . I did some searching on this site and a few links mention that he brake pedal needs to be replaced on some conversions. Would that be the case for me as well seeing as i already have disk in the front. What i would like to know is whats the conversion kit most use? Also is there any videos that any of you guys recommend on doing this. Finally how straight forward of a job is this ...definitely don't want to open a can of worms . The main reason i want to do the conversion is because i am tired of the drum cylinders in the rear wheels leaking after a year or so . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello guys, can anybody help point me in the right direction with this question?? I would really appreciate the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
The forum seems a bit barren these days. I have not been here in years, but since we have a very cool cat in common, I will try to help with your question.
The kit you are looking for is fairly common as it is used for Mustang conversions. Helped a buddy put one in long ago and don't remember anything especially challenging about it, just removing old parts and installing new. One man job if you have a brake bleeder, prob 2 hours per side with cleaning. Since you have front disk the peddle change in not needed (I think), but I do remember a proportioning valve install, just not sure if that was part of his kit or he just wanted it.
A DuckDuckGo search should turn up a few options. I think his kit was from Turner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts