Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my friend has a 69 Mustang, that was in really good shape. Well, his father took it out today, and (it was raining) when he got on the throttle getting on the freeway he spun the car out and hit the wall.

So... the front right fender is wasted, the shock tower ripped open, one of the fender braces buckled the firewall a little, the engine was pushed back, steering is messed up, the front right rim is bent, leaking air. The front bumper is bent, and the front aprin is gone.

The car does have a brand new engine, (351, very modified) and a rebuilt C6 tranny. But the front end is pretty rusted (Where the front frame comes out of the body), infact, we were told it could actually split in half!

Is this car worth fixing? What would be involved in this? How much is the front fender extension? I was told it is around $500 alone!

And last but not least, does anyone have any Mustang parts for him? I know this is a Cougar board, but I've noticed a few of you have Mustangs too. And I know Steve goes to the junk yard quite often.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
there is a pretty stripped 69 Stang at the yard right now... what do you need?? it has a drivers side front hit, so that might not be cool, but the shock towers might be useable. let me know what you need and ill ake a look to see if anything else on the car is useful. BTW -- it was an M code car originally, so might make it easier.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Only the owner can answer if its worth it or not. And thats depending on the rest of the cars condition. Parts are easy to find for one and NO a fender extension is not worth $500. Maybe $50 as there the same for all 69 models and very easy to find.

Something tells me that if the front frame is rusted then the rest of the car is in bad shape as well and probably not worth it though. Strange story though, a father wrecking the kids car instead of the other way around:eek2: mm

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. We have found out what happened. The limited slip rearend broke a "travis" (or whatever its called) and the car shot off to the right and hit the wall.

I also looked under the car, and the frame is toast. Bent pretty bad. And the carriers look bent too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow...that's a tough call. in my opinion, i think almost all cougars and mustangs are worth restoring! i bought a pretty roughed up '69 GT Convertible mustang that i'm restoring. it needed MUCH extensive work. the main thing is to think about the end results....that's what keeps me going on my project! :)
good luck in whatever you choose to do!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their plans are to find another 69 Mach 1, and put their engine and tranny in it.

Chris

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Steve, how bad is that 69 at Ecology? And is it a Mach/Sportsroof? Get on aim! lol

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
its a regular hardtop. it has a front hit, it could be repaired, but not a fastback. will need some new sheetmetal though. and if youve ever seen a Mustang at Ecology then you know how much is gonna be left on it. yeah, not much at all. by the way, i have AOL and AIM. but im an ass and i block IM unless you are on my buddy lists. so email me your name or post it here and ill put it up. [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts