Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey.. I'm about to dig into my `69 convert. Has anybody located or patched the lower rear quarters behind the wheel? If so, where did you source the parts or how did you do the repair? Any sources or pics would be helpful. I would hate to have to buy full repro quarters just to cut of that part.

photo5.JPG photo8.JPG

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you have a mig and some sheet metal that one would be pretty easy to repair. Cut out the cancer and bend up and butt weld in some new steel.
I have been banging out a full piece for the bottom of mine, but my rust is all along the bottom so the whole thing needs to be replace, just going to get the new trunk drop offs. I'm not happy with the curve going up on mine so may try a new one.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Unfortunately the Tabco "full" 1/4 repro's are the only game in town. I takes a lot to get them to fit right. If you do go that route, I highly recommend using only what you need and do not replace the entire 1/4 unless it is really bad and whole is the only choice. Even then I have a lot of advice on what needs attention to make one fit as best as possible.

·
Registered
384 Posts
John's Classic Cougars has 69/70 rear quarter panels, don't know who makes them for him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments and ideas. My car is currently on the truck to be delivered this week, and I'm researching all known problem areas before we get started. I suppose the full skins could be an option, depending on how much rot is there.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
All panels mentioned are the Tabco's I spoke of, like I said, that's all there is available regardless of where you buy them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Classic 2 Current has told me they produce the ones I mentioned and are not Tabco's. Tabco's also have the sidemarker hole and the Classic 2 Current units do not have the hole.
All panels mentioned are the Tabco's I spoke of, like I said, that's all there is available regardless of where you buy them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The quarters I have do not have the side marker cut into them. Also the same photo alot of vendors are using.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Classic 2 Current has told me they produce the ones I mentioned and are not Tabco's. Tabco's also have the sidemarker hole and the Classic 2 Current units do not have the hole.
Interesting, but this could just be the new run vs. the old run (my hunch). On the old run (which I had/have), the marker holes were both horrible and incorrectly located. I had to partially close each one to get the location correct and the hole properly oriented. So since I have not seen the newest pieces for myself, I cannot say for sure but am relatively confident that there is only one set if dies out there being used to make these panels, regardless of what the company doing the manufacturing is calling itself these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts