Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That looks like this:

And works. PM me if 'ya gots one. Just the element (what's special is the beauty ring around it), don't need the knob.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Time and time again you score on ebay... How do you do it? Seems like you pay about 40% of retail each time, you must be a big fan of ebay!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time and time again you score on ebay... How do you do it? Seems like you pay about 40% of retail each time, you must be a big fan of ebay!
What we have here is a clear case of the master/teacher baiting the student... :buck:

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Dang! Was hoping for more of a rise out of you than that... You do know that the element you bought is incorrect for your car? I agree it looks better than the stock one though. Congrats on the deal, you could not have got a good used one from WCCC for that!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...You do know that the element you bought is incorrect for your car?...
Well, I'd have to say that is a matter of opinion. I feel comfortable and somehow sure (perhaps incorrectly) that this is the part that came with and belongs in/on my car. Rob (MrEos) and I both had them on the cars as we received them and the idea that both these cars somehow were retrofitted with elements/knobs that "look better than what it's supposed to have" seems (at least to me) unlikely. So regardless of whether I am wrong or nuts (I've been known to be either or both), I'm happy and that's what it's all about. The "score" only sweetens the deal.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, which makes more sense (really), a plain-jane knob in plain sight and the fancy one hidden in the non-console tray (not 100% sure that it is hidden though, this is my memory however) or the fancy one in plain sight and the plain-jane hidden in the non-console tray?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don't know about your car but Rob's was a car that was basically scattered to the wind when it comes to originality. The reason I doubted the MPC is that often what the MPC shows is a suitable replacement, not always what it came with at birth. When Scott pointed out to me that the assembly manual showed the 67-8 version is when I became a believer. We have many 69 consoles on the shelf and in cars and all but one have the small version, even my 3000 original mile 69 xr7 has the one Ford calls for. The reason they would want an in-dash ashtray to have the better knob is it would be visually distracting to have anything but. The only Ford literature I can find to support the larger version is the owners manual so whereas it is plausible some could have got it, keep in mind pre-production images are often misleading. The good news is you are happy and in the end that makes the one you SCORED the right one for you!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Don,

Yes, I meant to cite the MPC argument, and that of course is a good one, along with your extensive experience with what you have seen across a larger sample than most anyone else.

So, in the end, it does in fact come down to preference, at least in my case, especially since I am deviating from concours in a number of less-than-trivial ways.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
don, mislabed ebay auctions are your friend! i scored a set of 4 inside knike blade xl door handles for the 64 for 20 shipped as the particular set was listed for a 63! noone repro's them and a good set of 2 is usually worth around 70-150!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Let me throw in my .02 worth ... I am quite sure (if my memory still holds after 36 years) that my console lighter was exactly as what Bob showed and bought. If that's not correct, then the factory screwed up that day. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not it had the longer stem which mine now has. I'm of the opinion the in-dash lighter had a longer stem than the in-console lighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts