Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up the interior of the '69 and wondering what you all have found to work best to keep the wonderful repro interior sail panels, made by someone who never even sat in a cougar, fit snug at the top against the headliner. I really don't want to screw it in. It's in place and being held by the pinchweld moulding but of course the repro sail panel is about 1/2" short of reaching the backglass w/strip so there is nothing to hold the back part of that panel, hence the top starts to pull out.
Thinking of gluing to the headliner but then it would pull on the headliner and what if I have to pull the panel to replace the opera light.
Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Cougar1,
Been having similar problems myself. These panels were originally retained front and back by the paper covering lapping over the rear glass flange and the C pillar flange where the pinchweld sits. The top edge was retained by a wire clip glued on to the back of the sail panel near the top edge about half way along. If you knew all this I apologise, but what I did was to use upholstery vinyl to cover the panel, leaving some spare at front and rear to fold over the front pichweld flange. The rear edge I tucked into the rear glass weatherstrip using a paint scraper with the edge taped so it did not cut the vinyl. I did not want to pop the rear glass to lap the rear edge over the flange! This seems to have worked so far and the vinyl covering looks much better than the previous paper. As for the top edge, perhaps velcro? I have just ordered a pair of opera lights from WCCC so fitting those should be fun. You wouldn't happen to know where the wires pick up on the harness and how difficult they are to get to I suppose?

Regards

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a little clip that fits under the top corners of the backglass w/strip and then extends out to the sail panel. Will see how it holds tomorrow. Velcro is an idea or maybe 2 sided tape. Only problem is it gets so hot here in the summer that the glue on the tape or velcro could melt. Not sure where the wires pick up on the harness, sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts