Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have to replace my hesdliner(Mickey&Minnie pluse Flival and the gang took residents)while it was sitting in a barn for 15 years .Question,can this be done without removing the rear window? Dan P.S.-The gang was kind,they spared the leather.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You will need to pull the rear window, the headliner folds over the lip. If you car is like mine it will need at least painted around the rear window and may have some pin holes. I had a hole the size of a pencil eraser that a welded a piece of metal in and then I painted the whole window frame with por 15. My window still leaked when I reinstalled it and I will be pulling it back out again. You will probably also need to replace the roof insulation. When removing the headliner be sure to mark where the bows go so you can put them back in the original location.
Good luck
John

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just to replace the headliner, it is not necessary to remove the rear window. I used a credit card to tuck the material up into the top window channel and that worked great.

If the car's been sitting for 15 years though, I would take John's advice and pull the rear window, there will be rust that needs repairing. Be sure to buy a new rear window gasket from a Cougar vendor. The old one will be shot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice

:p: there isnt a problem with rust,I"ll try to tuck it Ive been told I"m a (good tucker)Iused to put after market tops on back in 75,6,7,sure did drill alot of holes in some new CHEVEYS.Agood way to do that is to round the sharp edges off 2 -1and1/2 putty knives use one to pull back the other to tuck pull back away from the window if not it will split.I got the 2 side back panels off ,and covered them with Black viynil,they came out nice, FINAL QUESTION--On installing I do start at the front correct? Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No Dan, you have to start in the back and work foreward. Make sure the rear bow has the two wire type retainers (for lack of knowing the proper name for them) holding them so they can't pull foreward and away you go. If your rear window seal isnt too hardend up you should be able to tuck the head liner in OK.

Don't try to use the spray adheisive as you will make a bad mess with it. Make sure to let the new headliner lay for a few days to let any wrinkles get out of it. A hair dryer is helpful for removing wrinkles and setting the glue faster. mm;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great im ready to start

:p: Ihope I dont need any glue,I just coverd the cardboard side peices with the lights with black vynil.they came out quite nice.Goes well with the Black leather.By the BY this car was made in NOV.68,mine is the only one i"ve seen with no headrests.Is that because Its an early 69 ?? Thanks Mark Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dan, what do you mean you hope to not use any glue?? The headliner must be glued to hold it tight and up in place. The trim pieces will not do it alone. If your not sure about it, you may want to get a professional to put it in for you. I checked on farming mine out and found a couple places would it for $100-$150 bucks, but my brother had experiance in doing his Mustangs and offered to help on mine and I'm glad he did because it helped out alot.

I dont know about the seats but it would'nt surprise me if FOMOCO used up existing invintories before going with the newer parts. Or how can you be sure someone didnt change the seats before? mm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glue

I havent removed the liner yet. I"m still waiting on the replacement to come.If I do find the old adhesive i will use it.I want to thank you all for the help I will let you know if it costs 60.00 or 260.00 any odd makers out there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts