Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jenny and I are starting to plan for re-installing the glass in the Eliminator and we need some advice.

The rear window is no problem. I have the new gasket, the bedding compund, the rear window and have done this type of install before. Although it takes some time and patience, it can be a fun project for an hour or two. (I like to take it slow and after the headliner is in.)

The quarter windows. Hmm ... here's a question, I have two sets. One is bonded in their channels and the other is not. Do I trust 40 year old adhesive and use the old ... or should I remount the loose set into their channels with the 3M Channel bonding adhesive I see at WCCC? The glass is nice in either case.

In regards to the Driver's & Passenger windows ... here are my real questions:
- Do I mount glass into the channels outside of the car or with the channels attached to the regulator?
- What are the offsets for the channel. In other words, how far from the front should the front channel go and how far from the back should the rear channel go?
- The regulators seem to move fine, should I consider replacing any bushings?? I do plan to use lithiam grease on the tracks and guides.
- Should felts go in before or after glass. (I am thinking after.)
- Are there other parts we should consider for replacement?
- When glueing in the glass, the channel is wider than the glass. So is there any "pitch" in regards to angling the glass within the channel?
- Should I wait until all weather strip is installed so the window can be rolled up to max Height and adjusted to fit the door jam prior to letting the adhesive set??

Even though there are a lot of questions, I am kinda looking forward to this step.

But finally, an opinion survey ... although our glass is SUNX, what would ya'll think about a darker tint? As this is an Comp Orange Eliminator ... I kinda like the thought of having darkened windows on it. I dont see this alot on other peoples cars ... but I thought I'd toss that out there. (PS - I did see Don's blacked out windows and that is what really got me to thinking about this. They look really cool.)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I would remount the loose 1/4 glasses rather than hope for the best on the ones that are still mounted if it were me. I put the felts in first, on the 1/4 glass you might still be able to get the screws in afterwards though since the glass is small at the top. On the doors it's a b!tch to do it afterwards, did it just recently.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It's kinda tricky to get them right. One option is a late 70 swap to get away from the glue in - but you will need to round up the right parts....modern adhesives are way better, I'd just stick with it! LOL (Get it?) Looky here: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?722-Door-Window-Problem&highlight=glue+glass

There used to be a good write up on it at the old calssic cougar site but it's long gone now - maybe somebody has it saved and handy.....
FWIW, all 69/70 1/4 windows are glue in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That classic cougar write up was excellent, I used it to re-glue my PS glass. Pretty sure I've still got it on an old laptop at home if no-one else has it handy...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I used the measurements from that old write-up as well. VERY helpful. But I used Polyurethane adhesive/sealant to attach the glass. It's been about 8 years and they're holding fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts