Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from a swap meet where I was looking for the drivers side door glass for my 69. Actually, I was hoping to find glass for a 70 so that I would not have to mess with the glue-in anymore.
I ran across a guy with 70 glass and power windows for sale, but after talking to him I believe they are out of a Mustang. He says that 69 and 70 Cougars and Mustangs used the same glass and regulators, the difference being the 69 glued in and the 70 bolted in.
So I have 2 questions:
1) Is the glass the same between Cougars and Mustangs?
2) Where can I find a parts interchange guide for Ford products?

·
Registered
102 Posts
First, you can buy a parts interchange manual on Amazon.com. It's not a very expensive item.

Second, I'm not sure whether or not '69 Mustang and Cougar door windows are the same, but either way, you need to know that, if you replace the door windows with '70 units, you must also replace the rear quarter windows. The weatherstrip between the front and rear windows was moved to the rear window in 1970.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just did the swap this spring and you have to use 70 regulators front and rear also. There is a differance in bend of the arms that hook to the window guides. 70 Mustang front glass from a coupe maybe the same I'm not sure, but I know a sports roof (fast back) is not. Also I'm pretty sure you have to use Cougar only quarter glass. The reason I done the swap was the rocket scientist who owned my car before I did put a 70 door on the car and didnt change the window and it overlapped the quarter window. I stumbled across a 70 car for parts and it made the swap easy since all the parts were right there. I have a perfctly good 69 window glass if you need it but I would be afraid to ship it. The 70 quarter windows are still glue in and I took them into a glass shop to have them reglued and they told me that they had a new type of adhesive that will not come loose. Time will tell. mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
69 - glue in, 70 - bolt in rule

WRONG ANSWER!!!

Again, as a general rule this is so. I can unequivicably say that this is not always the case though.

A case in point is my wife's 70 Mach 1. Her windows are both of the glue-in variety. I have had to re-glue both of them in the past two years. 3-M makes what is called 'Channel Bonding Adhesive', made just for this purpose. Do not try to use normal epoxies! They won't hold strongly enough to smooth glass. The Channel Bonding Adhesive is really not a normal glue, it is a rubber mix.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to state that some early 1970s used glue-in window channels.

Ahhhh, exceptions to the 'rules' -- gotta love 'em!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
69/70 glass

While its true that early 70 glass is glue in and that Mustang coupe glass is same as Cougar I have not seen any diffs ever in ten years experience on the window regulators.I have interchanged several 69/70 Mustang/Cougar glass and regs and you do have to change all four pieces of glass for it all to work correctly.Channel bond while it may work in the interim is not long lasting. May I suggest you use the urethane windshield ADHESIVE on 69 and early 70 glass. Also be sure to tip glass correctly inward and position EVERYTHING correctly or you will be dissapointed THX Ray

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray, I see your back. In regards to the window regulators I returned your e-mail explaining the differance between 69 and 70 regulators and you never replied and now your back spreading misinformation. No I dont have 10 years working just on Cougars but I have been working on my own and other peoples cars for over 26 years and while I do not claim to, or ever will know all there is, I know how to tell the obvious differance between two parts laying in front of me. I also try not to say anything if I'm not sure about something and if I'm not sure I will say so. That said I went to the garage and dug out a couple regulators and photographed them so you and everyone else can see the differance and what it is. Now I said my pass door had been changed to a 70 door already and that is why I still have a 70 regulator from my conversion. The differance is enough that when I changed my drivers side glass the regulator wouldnt hook up right and thats when I noticed I had to change to the 70 regulator. Maybe I'm wrong and not all 70's with bolt in glass used this set up, but its strange I found two doors that did. In this first photo the 70 reg is on the left.mm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Another pic from a differnt angle. The 70 is on the right this time. You see the differance right? Please dont ask me to tear the rear regulator out of my car to show there is a differance in it to. Just trust me that there is a diffeance although I cant remember what it was. mm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Now now kids, play nice. :D

I rehung my 69 Glass earlier this year, not a fun job, especially trying to get the right angle on the glass.

My question is, what's the reason for the bend in the 70 regulator arm? It doesn't seem like it really does anythingall that different besides the obvious slight offset dipicted above. The 69 Arm would still bolt to the 70 channels no??

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Channel Bonding Adhesive

FYI, 3-M Channel Boding Adhesive works just fine. Once I've used this stuff, I have never had to re-glue a window yet.

My wife's old 77 Marquis had those slide-down vent windows. They had to be glued in place. I first tried some other kind of window adhesive and it didn't last for squat. After using the 3-M stuff, I never had another problem with them. Seven years and no problems. The driver's side front window had to be opened every day since the wife had to use a key-card to gain entrance to her workplace parking lot. If you have seen the sequence of the window operation, first the vent window goes down, then the main window goes. That's a lot of window use, in all sorts of weather. No problems with the window once I set them with the Channel Bonding Adhesive.

If you follow the directions correctly, making certain that the glass is clean, with absolutely no residue on it, it works fine. Lacquer thinner is best to use here. I went the extra step and sanded the window surface a bit where the glue was going to be to give it some extra 'bite' surface.

What I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to try regluing your glass. What do you have to lose? Just make sure you use the right stuff!

The 3-M stuff is available at most parts stores that cater to the professionals. Forget Pep Boys, and Auto Zone here. They'll look at you funny then try to sell you normal runny-assed epoxy. The 3-M stuff ain't cheap either. about $12 for the twin tube applicator. You don't need the mixing gun. just squirt out equal parts (use a stick or socket extension that you have marked for a certain depth), mix, and apply. You have about five minutes working time at normal room temperature. Next leave it alone for a couple of hours before attempting to move the window or clean up the excess. Use a razor blade to scrape up the excess.

Mark the location of the channel on the glass with a permanent marker. I normally clean up the channel off the car to remove old stuff from the channel to make room for the new glue. then reinstall the channel. Mix the glue, then fill channel. install glass. Yes, I'm installing the glass when with the regulator and channel in the door. It works best making sure you get the angle right. Hey, you have the door panels off anyway, so it really is easy.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan, will it bolt up? Yes. Will it work right ? No. It is in a bind and will not work very well. I dont know the proper names for the parts Ford changed when it went to the bolt in glass, so I wouldnt do very well trying to explain it. Just rest assured Ford wouldnt change to a different regulator design if it wasnt required for proper operation. By the way, channel bonding adhesive is what the glass shop called the stuff they used for reglueing my quarter windows. They said theres is better than the stuff the factory used and they would stand behind there job and warrenty that they wouldnt come loose again. Hey there in the bussiness and do them every day and will warrenty them. Good enough for me. mm

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used the 3M Channel Bonding adhesive today to set my door glass. It took one whole 1.5 oz container to fill one channel track.I did mine with the glass still in the door. This stuff sets fast, 5 minutes. I put mine in the icebox for about an hour before to gain an extra minute of worktime as I am in high humidity, high heat area.There is no time to mix and try to apply with popsicle stick or equal. What I did was take an old tube of bathroom caulk,cut it down 2/3 down, cleaned out the tube. I then pushed the contents of the 3m product into the old caulk tube mixed it together with a popsicle stick in one minute, placed the plastic push part of the old caulk tube in place, put in caulking gun, then squirted it into the channel within a minute and had 2-3 minutes to set the glass, and position it. It worked well and I'll give it try and see if it holds.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I'm currently using Proform PF 225 Windshield adhesive. $10 tube lasts quite a while has lots of working time. Be sure to prep glass properly. You can grind the area where glass is glued to give it some tooth.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The reason for the bend in the 70 regulator is for clearance. When the "tumblehome" is set too far the regulator will catch about mid way up. The bend keeps the tip/bolt from binding with the arms.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
P.S. I called a glass vendor the other day because he advertised NEW Mustang door glass. I asked him to check his book for Cougar (69 or 70) glass and he came up with a totally different #'s for Cougar. So, now the next "topic", Is Mustang glass really the same size as Cougar(69 or 70 ) ??????? How about a few pic's for the "NON- Believers" out there???

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use liquid Nail, I used some rubber filling to get the window in the right position and also to not have to fill the whole cavity, It has been two years with no problem. As long as the glass is clean, it holds very well.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Bill
Mustang door glass and windshield are same when the Mustang is a coupe. The fastback glass does not fit Cougar. Mustang coupe 1/4 glass is same as Cougar convertible. Cougar 1/4 and rear windshield are all on its own.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So, is 70 mustang, a normal one, the same front windshield glass as a 70 cougar, std.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Yes a COUPE glass windshield is same as Cougar 69/70. btw if you have a Mustang for parts and have tinted 1/4 glass I am looking.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I still am not convinced about the mustang glass working. Why would a glass place have totally different #'s for Cougars? Now we are talking about door glass only. 70 Cougar bolt in glass is same as what? According to all I have talked to, it is NOT the same. I guess I need to see a picture of both, making sure the pieces are truly from both Mustang & Cougar. If true, then there is new repop glass for 70 tinted owners...... Maybe a scan of the parts book #'s???

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Bill
I can tell you for certain that COUPE Mustang glass is same as Cougar glass both side door glass and windshields. I don't have the part #s to scan but believe me I know its fact call Don R if you like he knows as well. Like I have said all along Fastback glass is different and so are 1/4 windows but the door and windshield glass are same. I have got glass from Mustangs before and used them and sold windshields out of Mustangs into Cougars. I am not pulling your leg here and whoever is telling you Mcar glass does not fit Cougar is right only in fastback applications otherwise they are wrong and COUPE glass fits Cougar.
Ray

1 - 20 of 24 Posts