Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 69 from the original owner. It's a great car with only 69,000 miles. My question is this: the side glass is loose from it's mounts. It looks like the glass glues into the tracks. I was told not to even mess with it, to just put 70 side glass and regulators on the car and junk the 69 stuff. Any help on this? Is the 69 glass hopeless? Can it be glued back in effectively. If so does anyone know the exact mounting locations for the tracks on the glass. Any advise would be really great! Thanks, Pat:1zhelp:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had the same problem when I had a '69. I would glue the windows back in every now and then. An epoxy will probably be your best bet unless someone else has another suggestion.
I don't know if the '70 stuff will work. It was something I would have tried if I had kept the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I took all the galss out of my 69ss to do the body. i already put the back 1/4 glass in with some epoxy. Make sure to roll the windows up snug so it stays in place, and try not to open your window or door for a few days, so it can harden without the window sagging out of positiion. I never heard about the 1970 thing either, but would like to hear what thats about. You'll be good with the epoxy, because it wont melt in the heat.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The best procedure calls for removing the channels from the doors...

I followed a very well written document on this exact subject on the classic cougar network in their tech docs... My windows will easily last another 30 years now...

Well worth the $12 if you're not already a member.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sure ive said this about a billion times, but here it goes again.. i used quarter panel bonding adhesive to hold the glass in the channels. but Logan is right, remove the channels first and clean them out. i did it by heating it carefully with an Oxy Acetilyne torch and scraping the stuff out. but make sure to roll up the window and let it cure in that position!!!! i made that mistake on the drivers side and the window set in just a little bit off. i have a small A gap where the window meets the 1/4 window. not very big but it lets in wind noise at speed

·
Registered
96 Posts
69 Glass

I just did the change from 69 to 70 doors. I had power windows in my 69 and wanted to swap out for manual windows. Figured I might as well get the bolt-in glass too. Afterwards, I found that I can use 70 glass in my 69 doors, and may have been able to re-use the power window regulators, but that's in the past.
If you do use 70 glass, you'll have to use 70 quarter windows also. The 70 quarter windows are about 3/4" narrower than the 69. Also, the weatherstripping is on the 69 door glass and on the 70 quarter windows.
There was no problems doing this, it should have taken a day to do both, but I took two days because I also had to remove all power window wiring and door hinge pins. I also had problems with window alignment and just bought a book on fixing these problems (though I had almost no problems on one door).
If you have any other questions, please let me know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts