Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a 69 vert for sale with a 302 in it. The value guide I checked only shows a 351 engine option. Was a 302 available in 69? Is there a sight that lists the codes for a 69? The vin decoders I found only decode a vin but do not list the available options. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
In 1969 the 351W 2V was standard (H code) . 351W 4V was standard in the Eliminator, optional on others (M code). The only 302 available in 1969 was the optional BOSS 302 (G code)Eliminators only. 390 4V was optional on all (S code) and 428CJs (Q and R code, non-ram air and ram air respectively).

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When I bought my first 69 XR7 the seller insisted that the engine was original and that it was a 302. It was and it wasn't. It's amazing how many people cannot tell the difference between a 302 and a 351W. If they say that it's a 302 use it as leverage for a lower price.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Engines

Y'all want to see this get twisted? what about all the different castings that will interchange between production runs on motors that were used for several years.
An example; a 69 S-Code-C8AE???? H or J... I have one. Appears to be original. Have miced it to make sure no machining has been done... Turns out a lowrisor 427 heads on an S-code 390GT?
I Cant explain this but it's true...
shane:confused:

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
C8AE-H is the std 360 390 428 non CJ head and not a 427 head at all . Those who think 302s came in 69s are missinformed. Cougars in 69 base engine was a 250 HP 351W 2V. No 302s in Cougars after 68 excluding G code Boss or HO engines as they were referred to in the shop bulletins.

·
11,000 Posts
Shane,
C8AE-H heads were used on 360, 390, and 428 Police engines in all Ford, Mercury and Ford truck applications from 1968 model year until mid - 1972 model year when trucks with FE power started to get D2TE-A castings which are identical except for having induction hardened valve seats for use with unleaded fuel.

C8AE-H heads are not used on any perfomance engines, only ordinary 390 2V and 4V applications. They were the only head used on 1968 and 1969 Cougars or Mustangs with 390 2V, 4V or 4V GT engines. All are pretty much identical except the intakes, carb, cam and valve springs.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Royce, Ray,
Thanks guys, I couldnt remember yesterday exactly which casting I had. So I went and checked again, hoping for a confirmation. The last letter in the code is a J.
the number again is C8AE-J.

This is a motor I bought for a replacement for the Eliminator. 16 holes per head for exaust studs, that is a GT casting isnt it?
I pulled the motor out of an original 69 GT Ranchero, that unfortunatly had been wrecked beyond salvage. (or I would have bought the whole truck)
My Book Says 427? (maybe a typo in the book?)
I am going to photo this some day, so it can be speculated upon.

Can you confirm this code for me?
Thanks guys
shane:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts