Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 10 Eliminators over my lifetime and thought I knew most everything about them. We'll while working on my 69 Eliminator yesterday i was trying to make sure the only holes in my rockers were the ones needed to put the rocker moldings back on (you know how people like to just drill a hole and put a sheet metal screw in there). So I have another 69 Eliminator in the shop to compare and it has no holes for rocker moldings. my question is. Did all 69 Eliminators come with rocker moldings?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Mike! I can't answer your question but wanted to say hello. I finished "Isabel" last June and have been enjoying the car a lot. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bob good to here from you. All is we'll. Isabel looks awesome. Stay in touch. I hope to get up to carlisle next year if everything goes well.

mike

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My understanding is that the rocker panel moldings were a part of the Eliminator package in 1969 so all of them should have the moldings. As to why your one car does not have the moldings is a bit hard to say. Perhaps it was a special order, perhaps a factory screw up. Maybe the car had the moldings and they were removed sometime in the past. We could even throw in the possibility of the car being a rebody or perhaps not even a real Eliminator. I'm not saying that any of that is the case here, just a possibility. Without actually seeing the car I could not say. I know that Mike has been around these cars long enough to know what to look for, plus throw in a Marti report and the truth will be known. Best of luck with your project(s).

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I have marti reports for both cars ill have to go look at them. I did a search under google images of 69 cougar eliminators and it pulled up a bunch of photos. and there are some without rocker moldings. Maybe they were left off during restoration or maybe they are like this one i have. anyway thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Wouldn't an Eminger (Invoice) show if something was deleted? John

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've been in the Cougar hobby for quite a while, and every original, un-restored '69 Eliminator I've seen has had rocker moldings (or provisions for them.) Every vintage picture I've run across of '69 Eliminators has shown the moldings as well. Its also true that omitted moldings are common on restored/repainted cars because they're frequently damaged and quality replacements are often difficult to find and expensive. And some owners simply prefer the molding-less look.
Of course that doesn't prove anything regarding the one particular car in question. But like low-back seats or woodgrain dash trim, the lack of rocker moldings on a '69 Eliminator would be considered incorrect without evidence (such as a notation on the invoice or a picture of the car from back in the day) to back it up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Every 1969 Cougar Eliminator should have the aluminum (non sport special) rocker moldings. They should not have wheel lip moldings however. For the 1969 rocker moldings, they were held on entirely by clips, with no screws. In 1970 that changed, and the 1970 rocker moldings do have one screw location near the rear of the molding, in addition to all the clips. I guess that was a safety feature in case the clips popped off, then the molding would not fall off completely.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
yea I have marti reports for both cars ill have to go look at them. I did a search under google images of 69 cougar eliminators and it pulled up a bunch of photos. and there are some without rocker moldings. Maybe they were left off during restoration or maybe they are like this one i have. anyway thanks for the input.
If I recall correctly the rocker moldings were a part of the Exterior Decore Group.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Every 1969 Cougar Eliminator should have the aluminum (non sport special) rocker moldings. They should not have wheel lip moldings however. For the 1969 rocker moldings, they were held on entirely by clips, with no screws. In 1970 that changed, and the 1970 rocker moldings do have one screw location near the rear of the molding, in addition to all the clips. I guess that was a safety feature in case the clips popped off, then the molding would not fall off completely.
I think that the reason that the screws were used was because the 70 Cougars had the wheel house enlarged and there was not enough room for the stud on the clip to extend through the rocker and still be inside the wheelhouse.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
936 Posts
Did all 70 Eliminators have Rocker moldings, even those with the standard interior?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Did all 70 Eliminators have Rocker moldings, even those with the standard interior?

To the best of my knowledge '70 Eliminators did not have rocker or wheel lip moldings from the factory.

'69 Eliminators should have "curb molding", but no wheel lip moldings. As Randy stated they are part of the the Eliminator Decor Group. I will have to look through the various invoices that I have to see if there are any that say curb molding delete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts