Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some advice from any of you Eliminator experts out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1817386496

This car is not too far from home for me, and I was going to go take a look at it. I notice from the pics that it has the woodgrain instrument cluster, and I know the Eliminator had a camera case finish. Kinda makes me wonder....is it a real Elim, or maybe just had the instruments replaced, or what???

I read up on all the things an Eliminator is supposed to have, but are there any tricks to verifying if it's the real deal??

Does anyone out there in Cougarland know anything about this particular car for sale? I can see it's not in great condition, but it's not much worse than my XR-7, and if I gotta do basically the same work to either car, I might as well have the Eliminator at the end.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what i can see

I CAN'T TELL TOO MUCH FROM THE PICS, BUT WHAT I CAN SEE IS THAT HE STATED IT HAD A 6K TACK I BELIEVE MOST ELIMS HAD THE 8K. ALSO THE INST. CLUSTER HAS THE WOODGRAIN APPLIQUE, THE ELIM HAD A BLACK CAMERA CASE FINISH, THE REAR FUEL TANK DOOR IS FROM A STD COUG, THE ELIM HAS A COUGAR THE CENTER. WHAT YOU MIGHT DO IS ASK THE SELLER TO GIVE YA THE INFO OFF OF THE WARRENTY TAG. I HOPE THIS HELPED YA . IF I MISTAKEN ON ANY OF THESE POINTS, SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Something is sure fishy about that car. It has xr7 dash switchs, decore door panels and standard woodgrain. I'm assuming the 69 xr7 had the burled woodgrain like the 70 xr7, right?

The seats seem to be 69 as the release knobs are on the seat back but the only 69 that got highbacks were the Eliminators as far as I know. There definitly not xr7 seats. I also thought that all xr7's had a ribbed console pad. I also thought the 70 eliminator was the only one to have the running cat on the fuel door.

Just a few of my thoughts, but that don't mean there all correct. mm

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The VIN is not for a XR7 it would have 93 insted of the 91, It does have 69 high back seats witch is correct for a 69 eliminator. That little hole in the side of the console and lack of seat belt pockets in the console indecates to me the console is a 70. the dash is just plane trashed. I bet some one used this for parts for there eliminator or clone and thats why the switches and no wing. And the stearing colum, It looks like a 70 to me. Can't see the inside edge of it to see a lockset. I had a 69 that had a 67/68 trunk lid on it once. fits fine only deferance is the lickset. I'm sure its replaced like mine was. Has any one got ahold of the seller? Neal.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I don't think so, you still had the sholder harness. I could be wrong. I will be calling Chriss Brost this evening and will ask him. He restores consoles, If you get one from Don Rush it was restored by Chriss. I'm getting one done for the 70 XR7. My 390 69 had retractable seat belts when I got it and the console had pockets. However it was not bolted down so it may not have been correct to the car.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Let me try this. The 69's had the console seat belt pockets IF the car was ordered with the deluxe seat belts, which included the shoulder belts. The 69's had 2 inner belts, one of which was used to fasten to the shoulder belt. Hence the pocket in the console to store it. In 70 the shoulder belt fastned in a slot on the lap belt so there was only 1 inside belt and no need for the pocket to store the 2'nd one.mm

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know this is too late but the spoiler mounting locations look a little too close for factory locations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts