Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'69 Rear Leaf Springs - Removal

Jenny and I are about to flip our '69 Eliminator over so we can clean & paint the undercarriage of her car (Jenny's 14 and this is a father/daughter project). As part of our restoration effort, the car was taken down to its shell with the exception of the rearend. This last weekend I dropped the rearend out and started looking at removing the leaf springs. Front bolts look to be no problem ... but the rear shackles have me puzzeled. I removed the face plat off of one and tried to drive the shackle bolts through the spring ... they don't budge. I then look at the bushing that goes through the frame. It's stubborn to say the least. In short, how do you go about removing the rear shackles as the clearances are limited and the bushing seems to be "pressed" in place. Also, once out ... how do you press a new one in??

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Re: '69 Rear Leaf Springs - Removal

The bushings on the shackles are not pressed on, so it´s just to pry it off.
When i changed mine leafsprings, i left the front bolt in place, took of the nuts and plate on the shackles, use a crowbar or something similar to pry off the shackles.
There is four bushings on each shackle, two on each bolt, when you re install them, slide one on each bolt, put on the shacles, then slide the lst bushings in place, then the plate and attach the nuts.
Usually when i put on the bushings again, i put on some liquid soap or dishwasher so it´s easier to slide them on.

·
Registered
992 Posts

One thing to clarify is that the metal cylinder going thru the frame does not come out it ie welded to the frame rail. Also I believe the 2 studs are solidly attached to the shackle plate so they come out as one piece (you already removed the other plate).

Kevin

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the feedback! I will re-attempt the removal this weekend! I appreciate the heads up and the suggestion of some liquid soap on the re-install.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

Hopefully it lived as a Texas car....that's a tough battle even on good condition ones! Sometime its easier to bust the bolts off or sawsall them if they get stubborn...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bummer ... just complainin'

I just realized I @#$%^ up.

I've rebuilt the 9" rear end on my daughter's '69 Eliminator project and I'll admit I made a mistake. Although I kept all the "pieces" of the drum brake assembly separated by left and right side ... I forgot to check the wheel cylinders for orientation. Yesterday when I went to install new brake lines I realize that I crossed the wheel cylinders from one side to the other. Now I need to tear them apart again so I can do it correctly.

Oh well, it is only labor and that is one of the things I hate about buying a project from someone else that has already torn it down. If I'd had a point of reference ... then there would have been no issue. As there was only a backing plate and I am working from the shop manual and memory ... I guess I made an oops.

The only pain will be the "Oh Father!" I get from my 14 yo.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Re: Bummer ... just complainin'

If that is the worst problem you have, it will have been a good build! Poop happens, I KNOW.......Oh how do I know....

·
Registered
669 Posts

no biggie, that's how we all learn more. I'm an ASE master tech and everyday you learn something.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Sometimes the best lessons are the hardest ones....quick funny story for you...I was "helping" a friend rebuild his small block Chevy, after getting 5 or 6 pistons in it wouldn't turn and was bound up, only took about 4 hours and several beers to figure out I wasn't putting together a small block Ford, wasn't funny at the time but funny now..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'69 Eliminator Project Update

I thought I'd give you all an update of my father/daughter build. It's an orange '69 Eliminator and although I have not ordered a Marti report, I have Ford's copy of the original window sticker, three build sheets that were under the carpet (one in excellent condition) and copies of titles that go back to the original owner. So I guess my first question is ... what additional benefit is there in getting a Marti report?? I don't see anything new that would come from it ... Thoughts??

In regards to our car, the following has been done ...
- complete tear down of every last nut & bolt on the car
- all sheet metal issues addressed (new RH front inner fender apron, new front radiator core support, welded shut 5-6 small rust holes under the RH rear seat and patched in a 2X2 hole in the trunk area)
- removed all surface rust (that was fun)
- put all new body seam filler throughout the car
- primed and painted the engine bay
- rebuilt the front brake disc spindles with everything new. Only reused parts were the spindle and the anchor plates. Everything else was new
- cleaned and repainted the original argent GT wheels. Put on new BF goodridge radial TA's, new trim rings and center hub caps
- rebuilt the entire front suspension with new upper & lower control arms, spring saddles, springs, inner and outer tie rods, tie rod sleeves, idler arm, sway bar links, strut rod busshings, shocks, etc. This was done after having repainted the drag link, the crossmember, the strut rods, and the sway bar. Also hung the rebuilt spindles.
- Primed and painted the trunk area, the interior, the window & door jams, and the rocker panels in the original Comp Orange color. The contrast of the orange and black are really cool ... looks like the great pumpkin.
- I had the control valve, the brake booster and the steering gear box all rebuilt and I've repainted the finished units ... they are likely to go in today.
- all chrome has either been rechromed or polished. Rear bumper has been rebuilt with a restored taillight fixture, license plate bracket, and mounting brackets.
- I have disassembled the steering column, cleaned all the tubes and bars, and repainted it all. On the bracket with three aluminum mounting brackets ... one was missing a spacer. I found out that if you cut a one gallon milk jug you can fashion the spacer and it works perfectly. If you do it right ... it even looks good. Today I will install a new turn signal switch.
- I am tearing apart the steering wheel as the rim bolow switch was hard, brittle and cracked. I am having to chip it out and I'm over 1/2 way through it. I have a new switch and would appreciate any advice if someone has done this before. I am also going to use a new epoxy (POR15) to repair the cracks in the wheel. I found 1/8" chrome tape for the outer circumfrance of the wheel and look to have the wheel finished shortly.
- the rear end (w/3.0 gear) was totally gone through and repainted. On the 'To Do' list for today, I will install the three rear brake lines and install the leaf springs and the rear end. I'll then hang the rear two wheels.
- several other sub assemblies have also been gone through and I have them staged for installation when the car hopefully comes home from the body shop in February. These include the blower motor assembly, firewall pad, carpet underlayment & carpet, front turn signal lights, fresh air vents, parking brake assembly & cables, hood pins, new running lights for the fenders, cougar scripts, new rocker panel hardware with repolished panels, new antenna, grommets, pedal assemblies, etc. I've even located an extra set of deluxe door panels that I will re-dye white when I get ready to reinstall the interior.

The car is an original Eliminator and I feel it will be worthy of a total rebuild. I wish I could upload a few pics ... but every time I try to attach a file using the 'paper clip' or the 'insert an image' on this app, the app just spins forever once I browse to the jpeg.

The car was a 351W 4bbl, FMX, pwr disc brake, power steering, console, Eliminator package, AC, rear window defroster, deluxe interior car that I am also adding the light group to. In other words the opera lights and the switched map light in the dash. I will also add intermittent wipers when it comes down to wiring the beast.

Anyway, if you read this far I appreciate it. Although friends & family think this is cool, no one here is that interested except my daughter Jenny and I. I'd look forward to having some friends I could show it off to along with our '69 GT Convertible Mustang.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Re: '69 Eliminator Project Update

mzqj6r, The time you have spent with your car, and daughter is very impressive and rewarding to say the least. If possibly if you reduce the size of the pictures they would load to the thread? Can't wait to see your progress. Don't forget about your local Cougar nuts, we are meeting at the Golden Corral in Irving Thursday. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
735 Posts

msqj6r - what a great project, your daughter is very lucky.

As per the benefit of including a Marti Report with your paperwork - IMHO having the Marti only helps. The more documentation you have on your Eliminator the better, especially different paperwork from different sources that confirm the same information.

Just no downside to having it so why not?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts

To put photos in your posts, open a photobucket account and upload the pictures there, then either click the "IMG code" option when you hover over the picture (easiest) and post it in your post or copy the direct link and then hit the "Insert Image" (third from the right in the toolbar of Quick Reply) and paste the link in the window that comes up. It's that simple and people identify much more when they can see what you are doing instead of just reading about it. Hope this helps you (and BTW, your project SOUNDS awesome!).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts

I to would like to see pictures of this project. On posting pictures, ask your teenage daughter,probably the best source around.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'69 Eliminator Project Update w/Photos

Here's a continuation of my earlier post. This is my daughter's and my project car and we're having a blast working on it together.

I may be a bit anal here, but if my daughter is going to have this as her car show car (she's 14 yo) ... I want to make sure it is as safe as possible. To that end, I am using new fastners throughout the build. Yesterday, we went to install the rear leaf springs and what did I learn? Sure I've seen pictures of cougars going down the same production lines at the ford plant and most of the mechanicals are the same. But when it comes to the rear shackles ... why the heck did they use a much smaller bushing than the mustang?? For cryin' out load here FoMoCo, there was no way I was going to make those mustang bushings fit in a Cougar's mounting hole. Why create another part number?? Oh well ... Don Rush ... hurry up with that order I placed yesterday! I appreciate your assistance in geting these and all of our other "bits".

I tried a couple of the suggestions about photo posting, but this site does not want anything to do with a jpeg ... or maybe it is just me. I even tried the photobucket site suggestion ... no luck there, but here's the link to about 50 photos I uploaded there.
http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x431/mzqj6r/

My daughter's name is Jenny and I'm Eric. The turn signal switch will be installed today. I'll give ya'll updates every now and then. Oh, yesterday we did hange the front end of the leaf springs, installed a new battery tray and installed the hood pins and lanyards. At least we got something done besides taking back our rear shackles to Dallas Mustang. There are some great guys there, it's a shame they don't want to do any Cougar stuff.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Re: '69 Eliminator Project Update w/Photos

Looks like you have a couple of nice projects going there. It also looks like your daughter is having a good time with her dad. Good deal.

1 - 20 of 683 Posts