Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into purchasing new Coil Springs for the Front of my Boss 302 69 Eliminator. My worry is the car wont sit correctly. Researching this online seems some people say new springs make there cars sit to high. Now i was researching Boss Mustangs because theres alot more data on the web than boss cougars. Looking at WCCC site i didnt see a different spring for a Boss 302 (Maybe i overlooked it) i did see a spring for a 302 4 sp. anyway has anyone else bought new springs? and what kind of results did you get? and who did you get them from? brand?

thanks

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The more popular springs seem to be the 620's withthe Boss crowds, but even then you may need to loose 1 coil to get the correct height depending on A/C or not and what you think is the right look. Keep in mind the cats tend to have saggy butt's due to the longer leaf springs - probably the first end to start with before you worry about the coils. Plenty of good posts to search on stance and sagging rears.....One brand in particular for leafs that seems to be popular is ESPO. I don't remember what brand of coils I bought back in the day, but I did cut one coil out and I think it was a 660 if I remember right (351W no A/C and battery in trunk)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't think the 620's are going to be "liked" by you. The last 2 Boss Cats I did ended up with a 8356 (Moog part#) It is rated at 418 Lbs, and a free height of 10.5 inches.

With that said, the car sat high for a while. One cat took almost a year to settle (he did not drive it much), but it did settle and looked correct. The Boss motor is one of the lowest weight powertrains, thus it does not need 620' and your ride quality will suffer. Bumps are "murder", and I have pulled a few for customers who had them installed, replaced w/ the 8362.

By the way, my RestoMod track cat has the 8356 springs, but I did take 1.25 coils out and lowered the front 1' "Shelby drop". Still rides very nice on the road as well as the track. I just have to watch out for any speed bumps (sleeping policemen)!

This is just my suggestion. I also use GT rear springs purchased from John R Spring. Much better pricing and a really nice ride, and stance.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I should have said .620 as the wire size on the springs - it's not 620 lbs.....it should carry about 450 lbs if I remember right......not sure how the Moog springs are sized, but yeah, you really almost have to try the fit first then go back and cut if you don't like the height.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. ill go with the 8356 up front and Cougar Bill was there a part number for the GT rear springs?

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
Eaton Detroit is THE ONLY FORD LICENSED manufacturer of Ford springs. Pay a little more and get a CORRECT spring for your application.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eaton Detroit is THE ONLY FORD LICENSED manufacturer of Ford springs. Pay a little more and get a CORRECT spring for your application.
Mike (proford), I used John R Springs too in the rear and while they work fine, they are not correct. The pads and the pad retaining design they use is nothing like the originals. The leafs are different in the pad area too. But, they were CHEAP (through J.C. Whitney, no less!).

I thought Espo's springs are made like the originals too (albeit non-licensed) but I could be wrong. rarecat is right though, you might want to consider getting exact repros, especially for a valuable car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts