Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion on what to do to replace door skins on a 69? Last I looked there are no reproductions. Not sure if there is a lower patch panel. Rreplacing the entire door could be very expensive. I have power windows but would gladly go back to manual.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
No easy answers here. You could buy rust free doors (or at least ones that are better than you have), or grind down & patch the ones you have. I have 2 '69 doors in my garage that are decent, but once I got into them I realized mine would be an equal amount of work to repair so I just repaired mine.

I'd cut them loose for $50/ea, come & get 'em (I'm in North Jersey).

- Chris

markb said:
Any suggestion on what to do to replace door skins on a 69? Last I looked there are no reproductions. Not sure if there is a lower patch panel. Rreplacing the entire door could be very expensive. I have power windows but would gladly go back to manual.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Mark,
since you live in CT,talk to ken gucker he has a ton of stuff for a 69-70 cougar and i`m sure he has some doors.If your a part of the CT cougar club he is the president and if you get in contact with ed drozd he can hook you up to him and make arrangemnts for parts.
thnaks
pat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback gents. I also have a set of doors put away but they may not be much better than what's on there. I have to check on them!

Yes, no simple answers... that's why I asked :)

Are power-window doors much more valuable than non-power?

·
6,980 Posts
markb said:
Thanks for the feedback gents. I also have a set of doors put away but they may not be much better than what's on there. I have to check on them!

Yes, no simple answers... that's why I asked :)

Are power-window doors much more valuable than non-power?
The value is in the wiring harness and switch or switches. It would add to the value of a plain door.

A good chance for you to install 1970 bolt in glass if you get into replacing the doors. You can not mix and match 1970 and 1969 glass fronts or backs. Unless you only do one side:lol2: .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the 69 glue-in glass is a PIA! I don't know how many different kinds of glues and things I tried 20 years ago trying to keep them in.

I was wondering if anyone traded rust-free non-power doors straight-up for ruster power ones because of the value of the electrical parts.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The basic door is the same. Add a few wires and an electric motor and you have the "power window" door. Add a couple more wires, a door ajar switch to the latch and a light assembly and you have an XR 7 door.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a side note, agreed the 69 glue-in glass was not one of Ford's better ideas. That said, Don's video and the new 3m adhesive......re-glued mine about 4years ago and zero issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts