Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello buying 69 cougar 351 w 2 barrel motor runs good 54000 miles. He wants 5300 needs work he says it’s a xr7 but it’s not according to vin it does not have ac it does not have the toggle switches above radio no tach one of the torque boxes is bad tranny is bad but comes with spare good one . So I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s still worth it not being a xr7 . Someone has been Messi g with it because passenger side above glovebox has xr7 emblem any help much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My opinion. It's a can of worms. Cost you way more to restore than it will ever be worth. Spend more money for a nicer car.

·
Registered
1973 mercury cougar xr7 convertible
11 Posts
In my humble opinion, it's a matter of if you care it isn't an XR7, if you don't care if you have to put more money, time, blood, sweat, tears etc then what the car may ever be worth in money if sold etc.

Only you can make that call.

The way I look at it in my case, I have a '73 XR7 soft top and it needs work. I will probably put more monet etc into it then it's ever "worth" if it was sold, however that doesn't bother me. I am hoping once it's done / I can't drive anymore it stays in the family and is enjoyed for future generations etc.

I love the classic rolling iron and always wanted to work on / restore a vehicle and was given this one...a dream come true. I am not a strict fomoco guy... I love all classic cars. The more obscure / rare / unknown... the more I like em. I.e. I like the Thunderbirds and Cougars more then the well-known mustangs of any vintage. I appreciate mustangs as an example. Just don't want one. My wife loves the '70's mustangs and I can't stand em.

All personal preference :)

If you like the car, take it / fix it etc. If you don't... then don't.

I think the asking price is a Lil much but I am pretty poor so...I have had my xr7 for like 10 yrs and barely put 2k into it :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm also leaning towards "can of worms" just from the two pictures and the guy insisting it's something it's not. Just from the 2 pictures I can see the fit of the front fender to the door is crap, missing parts like windshield trim and side marker lights, lots of rattle can white covering who knows what quality body work on the door and rear quarter. How do you know the spare tranny is actually good? He's lying about the XR7 why do you believe him about the tranny?

Replacing a torque box is not for a first time welder, so if you're not an experienced body guy, or best buddies with one, there's a lot of money and time right there too.

If you like discovering and fixing prior owners debacles this may be just your project. Some folks enjoy undoing the odd and weird things done by prior owners. Maybe you're one of those guys? Most people are not.

·
Registered
1973 mercury cougar xr7 convertible
11 Posts
Very good point! I didn't look at the pics close.

If owner only has two pics listed and that many discrepancies visually / lied about xr7 etc... how can he be fully trusted.

Have you gone to check the car in person? Started it? Looked in trunk? Floor? Wheel arches etc...

Deff be weary. It's all up to you final decision. I'd ask myself if such a "hot" car... why isn't current owner fixing it / selling it for more etc.

Also if know / have any car friends/ mechanic / someone you trust... ask them. Or even non car friends that know your skills etc when comes to cars.

Just trust your guts over heart / brain. Sadly. Been burned in life by not doing that before and regretted it. Not just cars, but life, women etc.

Good luck

Will try and help if asked. If you check my YT channel you can see some of my '73 xr7 and that may help you with this decision. My car seems overall intact.

Mr. Kate

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heck. A good paint job cost more then what some basic classic cars are worth. Standard cougars aren’t worth big money. Most restorations projects will always cost more then it’s worth. If a person has the extra cash. The time and space to maybe have it sit for years it’s kind of fun transforming something back to life.

I did that with a 67 fastback. Bought it as a shell. Missing half its parts. Took 9 years to get nice. Lost money when I sold it but enjoyed fixing it up and driving it was awesome.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heck. A good paint job cost more then what some basic classic cars are worth. Standard cougars aren’t worth big money. Most restorations projects will always cost more then it’s worth. If a person has the extra cash. The time and space to maybe have it sit for years it’s kind of fun transforming something back to life.

I did that with a 67 fastback. Bought it as a shell. Missing half its parts. Took 9 years to get nice. Lost money when I sold it but enjoyed fixing it up and driving it was awesome.
View attachment 117719
Neat car! Definitely on a joy working on a nice car worth more than spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello buying 69 cougar 351 w 2 barrel motor runs good 54000 miles. He wants 5300 needs work he says it’s a xr7 but it’s not according to vin it does not have ac it does not have the toggle switches above radio no tach one of the torque boxes is bad tranny is bad but comes with spare good one . So I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s still worth it not being a xr7 . Someone has been Messi g with it because passenger side above glovebox has xr7 emblem any help much appreciated View attachment 117709
I'm a owner of a 68 base model cougar since 1995.
This was my first car, and first, and only, muscle car.
It's show (or very close) quality, but STILL not done! A few more grand, and some more blood, sweat, and tears....
In short... My opinion is,...if someone lies to you once, that's once too many! And with someone trying to sell you a car, that goes double.
Overall, it doesn't seem worth it to me.
And, just the one pic, that door and quarter panel looks like you will be paying ALOT in body work alone, if you plan to go that direction.
Just my opinion.
I can only give my opinion/suggestions.....
As stated by another member... It depends on what you want....Take your time to think about it , and decide, and that will help guide you.
Will your purchase be a definite keeper for life, or will you someday have to, or want to sell it.
A special model with rare options that is kept stock will almost always bring you more if you plan to sell, but then you can't "make it how you want". There in lies the rub. Lol.
Either way you will put alot more in than you get back.
If I were you, I would wait, do more research on what you want, and then do alot of looking around/shopping/ price comparing.
Make sure you are happy, and will be happy with your new family member. Lol.
A driver is almost always better than a project, at least in the short term. Lol.
Also, you might not be able to now, if you can, even better,...but maybe save up, and have a bigger budget. I just typed in 1969 cougar xr7 in Google, and tapped the first for sale site, and there's a convertible for 20k that at a glance looks done, or at least alot better.
Yes, it's 4x what you are willing to pay now, but.....
With a project...Parts, labor, time, money, frustration, end up adding up to, ALOT. Not saying, to buy that car for 20k, or that you should spend alot. Just take your time deciding what you want, what direction you want to go, and what, and how much it will take to get there.
In short, lol, I would look for a solid driver, that fits your needs, and work out the kinks.
Sorry for the long winded, and strong opinions, but just want to give my thoughts.
You're already asking questions, + other's opinions, And keep doing that. Also, talk to other car owners at car shows, events, or wherever, about their opinions, And, experiences. Knowledge is power.
Have a good one, and good luck to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts