Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was the owner of a 69 Cougar for longer than I can remember, its been fairly maintained and is in a solid 7.8/10 overall condition. However my dad passed a little over two years ago -- since, the car has been sitting. But today I got a second wind after work and decided its finally time to pull it out. Was disappointed when the car wouldnt even crank.
I'm thinking its the spark plugs. Maybe battery. I say this but my knowledge on cars is limited, (Im 20) and not a mechanic headahhh just someone who is willing to learn.
If someone could point me in the direction of a video, or something, u could even write out the step by step. I just need some guidance in the right direction -- I've bee looking at forums and youtube but havent found something that could help me.
My ultimate goal now is to have a well running Cougar. Clean it up where I can. My dad use to take it out every now and again so it wouldnt sit and I want to be able to do the same, except enjoy it more.
I just got a Charger so this could truly be my 'project car'

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Well, at first read it sounds like a dead battery. If you are going to keep the car, and can't afford to pay someone to fix every single thing (Who can afford to do that??) Then you will need some tools. A vacuum gauge, timing light, test light and a good set of wrenches and sockets. But first take the battery to the parts store, and have them test it. It might be able to be recharged, or if not it is already there for a core charge. Prepare to be pissed off at how much a battery costs these days!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, at first read it sounds like a dead battery. If you are going to keep the car, and can't afford to pay someone to fix every single thing (Who can afford to do that??) Then you will need some tools. A vacuum gauge, timing light, test light and a good set of wrenches and sockets. But first take the battery to the parts store, and have them test it. It might be able to be recharged, or if not it is already there for a core charge. Prepare to be pissed off at how much a battery costs these days!
Thanks for your response, i’m ready to be surprised! Tried to jump the battery and that did not change the outcome

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad was the owner of a 69 Cougar for longer than I can remember, its been fairly maintained and is in a solid 7.8/10 overall condition. However my dad passed a little over two years ago -- since, the car has been sitting. But today I got a second wind after work and decided its finally time to pull it out. Was disappointed when the car wouldnt even crank.
I'm thinking its the spark plugs. Maybe battery. I say this but my knowledge on cars is limited, (Im 20) and not a mechanic headahhh just someone who is willing to learn.
If someone could point me in the direction of a video, or something, u could even write out the step by step. I just need some guidance in the right direction -- I've bee looking at forums and youtube but havent found something that could help me.
My ultimate goal now is to have a well running Cougar. Clean it up where I can. My dad use to take it out every now and again so it wouldnt sit and I want to be able to do the same, except enjoy it more.
I just got a Charger so this could truly be my 'project car'
Email us - KTL Restorations (if you are not familiar you can visit our website, Facebook, or IG. Love to hear about someone your age trying to get the car running again. Let's see if we can help. ktlrestorations.com / email [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the gas tank clean? Bad fuel that has turned to molasses is a no go. Your carb could also be bad as are the points and rotor. Easy to check those with a 12 volt light. Do the maintenance things that one would do if it's running ok. Ford coliseum are easy to replace. They're next to the distributor. That provides spark. Chang plugs too but be very carefull removing them as they may be seized. Put a penetrant oil around the plugs and wait. Repeat a couple of times.
You can hand turn the engine with some leverage. If nothing seized then you know it is ignition and voltage. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the gas tank clean? Bad fuel that has turned to molasses is a no go. Your carb could also be bad as are the points and rotor. Easy to check those with a 12 volt light. Do the maintenance things that one would do if it's running ok. Ford coliseum are easy to replace. They're next to the distributor. That provides spark. Chang plugs too but be very carefull removing them as they may be seized. Put a penetrant oil around the plugs and wait. Repeat a couple of times.
You can hand turn the engine with some leverage. If nothing seized then you know it is ignition and voltage. Good luck.
Got it running boss. Ended up getting an entirely new battery. That start up was amazing, rolled it out and spun it around the block. It clearly needs power steering fluid and the breaks were heavy/tight to step on so I am not sure what that means.
I guess I should go through and replace/check all the fluids? which are the most important?

·
Registered
40 Posts
BlackCat
welcome to the group. So you got it running! Great! ----- Yes, check and/or change the fluids as a general precausion, change Oil and Filter, Check the appearance and level of all others. Brake fluid Tranny fluid and Powersteering fluid. Top off if seem OK or change if seems not so good. I encourage you to start a diary on your to help you keep track of the various things you do to it and when it was done, by date and by odometer miles. . It is often useful to be able to look back in the book and see some like ...".the last oil change was 1500 miles ago". This may help you figure out the reason for some problem, like low oil, etc. You tube has many great clips covering maintenance things you might be thinking of doing to this car, and yep you will be needing to get a few tools...
Have Fun...
John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Black Cat,
I see that you have joined this cougar organization, that is good! Also check to see if there is a local Cougar group you might join, They might have some local meetings or events you could participate in, and meet other folks who have 1969 Cougars. More Fun.
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlackCat
welcome to the group. So you got it running! Great! ----- Yes, check and/or change the fluids as a general precausion, change Oil and Filter, Check the appearance and level of all others. Brake fluid Tranny fluid and Powersteering fluid. Top off if seem OK or change if seems not so good. I encourage you to start a diary on your to help you keep track of the various things you do to it and when it was done, by date and by odometer miles. . It is often useful to be able to look back in the book and see some like ...".the last oil change was 1500 miles ago". This may help you figure out the reason for some problem, like low oil, etc. You tube has many great clips covering maintenance things you might be thinking of doing to this car, and yep you will be needing to get a few tools...
Have Fun...
John
Thanks John I really appreciate it. I’ve gotten the power steering going with that Type F ATF and can now whip with one hand which is fantastic.
I’ve now discovered my heat riser choke is broken off from the engine manifold but still attached at the carb — so that needs to be replaced i am just trying to source a part and learn how.
Also looked under the power steering pump and i have a hose that definitely needs to be replaced.

I have 10 weeks till I leave for college so believe i’m putting in those hours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts