Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 69 vert on Ebay a couple weeks ago and it petered out at $16k. My great idea is to drop a used LT1 motor, trans, a/c etc in it and keep it. Am I crazy? I think it would be bad ass

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my 69 vert on Ebay a couple weeks ago and it petered out at $16k. My great idea is to drop a used LT1 motor, trans, a/c etc in it and keep it. Am I crazy? I think it would be bad ass
I have considered the same thing. I am actually looking to install an LT1, LS1, 5.0L EFI, or 4.6L SOHC PI motor into my cougar. It's whatever donor car I find first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That actually made me a bit nauseas when I read this. With mustang, mod-motor powertrain readily available, why even consider a bowtie?

·
Registered
34 Posts
That actually made me a bit nauseas when I read this. With mustang, mod-motor powertrain readily available, why even consider a bowtie?
275HP/330tq stock vs a PI 4.6L 260hp/300tq.

Now, that 275 is conservative and it's based on a single exhaust pipe and restrictive intake tube. When you go dual exhaust and free flowing CAI, you start seeing 315HP/340tq. Not to mention how well they respond to bolt ons. LE2 heads, good cam, and a TB, you are talking 400RWP, no modular can come close to that without FI. Of course the LT1 isn't without fault, it has an ass backward cooling system and that horrible optispark.

I had a 93 formula fireturd before my cougar and it would absolutely dust my sisters 99 GT.

·
Registered
245 Posts
275HP/330tq stock vs a PI 4.6L 260hp/300tq.

Now, that 275 is conservative and it's based on a single exhaust pipe and restrictive intake tube. When you go dual exhaust and free flowing CAI, you start seeing 315HP/340tq. Not to mention how well they respond to bolt ons. LE2 heads, good cam, and a TB, you are talking 400RWP, no modular can come close to that without FI. Of course the LT1 isn't without fault, it has an ass backward cooling system and that horrible optispark.

I had a 93 formula fireturd before my cougar and it would absolutely dust my sisters 99 GT.
I've only seen one stock LT1 make 275 rwh and that was my buddy's '96 WS6 that made 286...all the rest were between 252 and 259 and change. GM has overrated their ponies for a long time. I'm not saying the LT1 is a bad engine, but the fastest way to kill the unmistakeable sound of a muscle Ford, is to grop another manufacturer's engine between the fenders. I say; if one likes the LT1 and LS1 engines (both are swell), then find a late '60's Poncho to build. There's alot of fellas that would love a '69 Coug' to restomod with Ford muscle.

We can talk all day long about LT1s spanking 5.0s and 4.6s, and vice versa, but the fact is; I used to ride around in an '85 Buick Century T-Type (non-turbo 3.8) that spanked them all...some cars are freaks.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
My great idea is to drop a used LT1 motor, trans, a/c etc in it and keep it
Sounds like you could decrease the value of the car and the engine at the same time.

If it got to $16K stock, it would probably top out at about $6K with the engine swap.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"If it got to $16K stock, it would probably top out at about $6K with the engine swap"
Like with any "collector car", it's value is set by condition, minus parts and labor to bring it to stock...If I were looking at a 69 vert for sale, anything other than a Ford engine is an instant no sale....There was a guy on you tube that had a 68 cougar, with a 454, I don't think he could give that car away..If it sold, it was at a pretty good loss...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've only seen one stock LT1 make 275 rwh and that was my buddy's '96 WS6 that made 286...all the rest were between 252 and 259 and change. GM has overrated their ponies for a long time. I'm not saying the LT1 is a bad engine, but the fastest way to kill the unmistakeable sound of a muscle Ford, is to grop another manufacturer's engine between the fenders. I say; if one likes the LT1 and LS1 engines (both are swell), then find a late '60's Poncho to build. There's alot of fellas that would love a '69 Coug' to restomod with Ford muscle.

We can talk all day long about LT1s spanking 5.0s and 4.6s, and vice versa, but the fact is; I used to ride around in an '85 Buick Century T-Type (non-turbo 3.8) that spanked them all...some cars are freaks.

It's 275 flywheel, most PI modulars put down 230 to the wheels. Sound goes hands down to the Ford. Don't get me wrong, I love the modular platform, but it's such a pain to put in the cougar. If I had the room, I would go with a tumble port 4.6L 4V, but I don't feel like notching the shock towers or changing the front suspension to do that. I have heard that the 4.6L SOHC will fit with no modifications and about 1/2 an inch of room on either side, so that is what I am looking at, but if I found an LT1/T56 donor car for $1000, I would jump on it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swear some of you guys are crazy. Saying that the car would take a hit from $16k to $6k by adding an awesome 275 hp modern efi drive train is lunacy. I guess my dads 40 Ford Coupe with a 300 horse 327 chevy motor ruined the car as well. Not all car people care about **** being concourse correct numbers matching. Actually A Cougar guy is probably the last guy I would want to buy my Cougar. I drive my Cougar and what ever makes that experience better is all I care about, and frankly that's what most people who aren't specific model purists care about as well.

Maybe I will look at a 4.6L SOHC, but can that give me anywhere near the HP and torque that my stock 351w 2v now does?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I swear some of you guys are crazy. Saying that the car would take a hit from $16k to $6k by adding an awesome 275 hp modern efi drive train is lunacy. I guess my dads 40 Ford Coupe with a 300 horse 327 chevy motor ruined the car as well. Not all car people care about **** being concourse correct numbers matching. Actually A Cougar guy is probably the last guy I would want to buy my Cougar. I drive my Cougar and what ever makes that experience better is all I care about, and frankly that's what most people who aren't specific model purists care about as well.

Maybe I will look at a 4.6L SOHC, but can that give me anywhere near the HP and torque that my stock 351w 2v now does?
If you get a 94-98 block and slap 99+ heads on it, you will see about 270HP flywheel and 235ish to the wheels. The stock 351c 2v was 250HP, but that was before net ratings, you realistically you are probably looking at 200HP flywheel and 170ish to the wheels. So yeah, I would say that would be a good jump.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you get a 94-98 block and slap 99+ heads on it, you will see about 270HP flywheel and 235ish to the wheels. The stock 351c 2v was 250HP, but that was before net ratings, you realistically you are probably looking at 200HP flywheel and 170ish to the wheels. So yeah, I would say that would be a good jump.
Just curious but why not 99+ block and heads?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just curious but why not 99+ block and heads?
When you use the old NPI block/pistons and PI heads, it bumps the compression ratio up and gets you about 10 extra HP. When you use a PI block/pistons, the compression is down and you get 260HP. Also, when I say 99+ heads, I mean that for the mustang heads, the rest of Ford got PI heads in 01.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Durf, For a Cougar convertible to get to $16K, a significant part of the value is that it is a Cougar convertible. Cougar Convertibles are collector cars, $16K is a lot of money. Typically when you see one with the wrong drive line in it, it sells for less than $5K.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Durf, For a Cougar convertible to get to $16K, a significant part of the value is that it is a Cougar convertible. Cougar Convertibles are collector cars, $16K is a lot of money. Typically when you see one with the wrong drive line in it, it sells for less than $5K.
Maybe to Cougar guys. I'm not a Cougar guy, I'm a cool car guy.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Don't OVER-IMPROVE the Camaro!!..... LOL - did you know they actually were going to call it the Cheetah?.. Just an interesting tidbit

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Hey..your car, your dough, your prerogative. A 40 Ford is a "hot rod", guys having been throwing small block chevy's in them for years. I'm just sharing my experience, (see disclaimer below). I agree, modern, fuel injected electronic ignition overdrive trans is the way to go..I just won't put a GM product in anything.
I will put a 429/C6 Ford in a 55 Chevy pickup, just to be an a$$ hole, and get back a little bit at the rod show. But, but then, thats my money..

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
A Ford 5.8L EFI motor like one used in the 351 Saleen or Cobra puts out numbers far in excess of the LT1/LS1. Yes, it is basically the (351W) 5.8L 93-95 Lightning motor with a centrifugal supercharger. ~500hp @ 5400rpm and 490 lb/ft torque at 3400. You could build a clone of that motor/supercharger and fit it in a Classic Cougar and have something different. It'd fit under the stock hood as well! You'd have to use the Mustang GT40 intake to get it to fit, but they're out there! The problem would be getting a trans to handle that power. A 4R70W would do it and you'd already have to be using the computer to control the engine anyway, so why not? ...unless you like rowing gears, then a Tremec TKO would do it.

All it takes is money.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do build them Ford in a Ford ,but that's just me as said when your building one you have the ideas and that's what works .

But if you do want to be a little different you pop in one of these and have a tire melter .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having just crossed over into Cougarland, I've been driving an LT1 for the past 5 years in my Buick Wagon and know a couple of things about them.

Not going to get into it's wrong to stuff a GM in a Ford debate, leave that for others (I know people who want to gouge their eyes out when the see a chevy in a buick or pontiac for that matter).

It comes down to what you want to, what you have on hand, and where you want to go.
To quote a good friend of mine, "if the LT1 is so great why did they stop making them?" Yes, an LSx would be a better bowtie so to speak, but if you just so happen to have an LT1 lying around and need a motor.....why not. I'm helping my friend stuff one into a Jaguar XJS vert right now (I love that he gave me the Caprice shell to part out, lol spares for me!)

WIth Iron heads the numbers in the first post are correct flywheel numbers. With Aluminum heads and a tune (Vette and Top tier f-body like z-28, formula, etc) they jumped to I think 310HP. Bolt ons (cam, heads, intake, exhaust, etc etc) will get you in the mid 400s at the rear wheels.

Here is my favorite wagon video, I love the laughing. I know this guy, lives in Jax, FL and this was his daily driver at the time. Didn't even take his surf racks of it. He had a shot of giggle juice in there to get into the low 12s with a 4500lb car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts