Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about the hump. In the 69 428CJ cyclone 4-speed I used to have, there was a bolted on hump for the 4-speed shifter. There is one for the Mustang right?
Does the 69 COUGAR have a bolted on hump to accomodate the 4-speed shifter as well?
Lets hear from you 69/70 top loader guys. I need to know as there is one from a Mustang 69 available.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The correct shifter coms up the same hole as the automatic shifter uses. I'm working on a Mach 1 CJ 4 speed now. Just finished a Mach 1 4 speed 351 4V 4 speed. (just engine compartment detail and brakes).

·
Registered
488 Posts
mustangs and cougars don't use a hump. the cars were designed as floorshift only so the tunnel was made big enough that a hump was not needed. the tunnel on a torino was designed with a column shift in mind and a low floor so a hump is required. hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hawkrod. I had always thought so but then I saw this on e-bay. Check it out. Did this guy just cut out part of the driveshaft tunnel to sell it?

Click here: eBay Motors item 2404118018 (Ends Feb-23-03 16:25:44 PST ) - 1969 69 70 68 67 MUSTANG MACH 1 4 SPEED HUMP

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click here: eBay Motors item 2404118018 (Ends Feb-23-03 16:25:44 PST ) - 1969 69 70 68 67 MUSTANG MACH 1 4 SPEED HUMP

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Hawkrod, hope the link works. If not just write down the item # and go to e-bay and type it in search and check out the 4-speed hump for sale. Tell me what you think.
Another question since you have done a couple of 4-speeds.
Is the Z-bar and other linkage the same as any 67-70 289/302 for the 351w in my 69? I have been told so and I can not find any specific Z-bar and clutch linkage for a 69 351w in a cougar or mustang. The only thing that seems to be different is the clutch/brake setup. 67/68 is different from the 69/70.
Other than the pedals, everything is the same for the small block 4-speed from 67-70.
Big blocks use different linkage(390,427,428)
So, get the Z-bar, return spring, adjuster rod, brackets, etc. for any 67-70 4-speed small block mustang/cougar and I'm in business right?
I appreciate you looking at the 351w 4-speed mustang you have and verifying this for me before I purchase the items.
Many thanks.!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
yeah, that is a Dumbs*%t auction if i ever saw one. the part does have some value to the right guy though. many cars have had the the original hole hacked for aftermarket shifters and if a guy is restoring a car that piece would be handy as it is not just sheetmetal. there is a reinforcement ring welded to the bottom that the shifter on an automatic and the boot on a stick screw into. as far as clutch linkage the 67-70 289 and 302 is the same but the boss 302, 351W and 351C use different equalizers due to the exhaust manifold shape. if you are running headers you can usually use the 289 parts but if you have stock manifolds you need the 351 part. the equalizer is available reproduction and is 70.95 in the last National Parts Depot catalog i have. if you need to know about pedals use the search function as i have posted in depth on the subject (not many people seemed to listen the first few times i posted so it has been posted and reposted) the pedals are different from year to year and while some interchange (not as many as you expect) for a restoration you will need the correct year parts. hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. So the 351w in original configuration 1969 used a slightly specific equalizer, ( Z-bar) right?
Other than that and the 1969 specific clutch/brake pedals, the rest is the same?
And no hump!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
uh, yup! buy a 351 Z bar and 69 pedals and the rest will all be labor! LOL glad its you and not me! putting the frame side equalizer mount in is fun too! the bolts are under the steering box and everything is in the way including the brake booster! last time i put one in i did it by feel from the bottom and used a ratcheting wrench. keep in mind that a car that came with an automatic will have the nutserts in the frame for the bolts but they have had exposed threads since 1969. that bolt won't screw in by hand and you will only get 1/4 stroke on the wrench. those two bolts may take as long as the rest of the swap LOL! hawkrod

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS>
I have theengine out and the car stripped down to the shell for body/painting. I will install the related frame and firewall parts after the engine bay is painted. It will be easy then.
I have a set of pedals lined up and have ordered an NPD catalog to see if I can order the 351w specific Z-bar. However I will be using a set of headers on the car and I might could get away with using the 289/302 1967 Z-bar I have. it should be fun. Hope to have this car on the road by mid Summer. Wish me luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts