Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about framework.

I'm in the middle of doing a front suspension and brake overhaul. My very first obstacle to overcome was the realization that I could not find anywhere whatsoever to place the jack or stands. The flat locations where you would normally put a jack are completely rusted out. I placed the jack under the front frame rails and they broke the bottom part off.

I went on doing the job I started on - I'm chiseling the existing undercoating off the wheel wells to treat the surface rust, then re-apply a new coat of undercoating.

Next though I've got to get that frame rust fixed. The floors are good, fenders good, etc - but the frame rails are blown away.

I've called around and can't find anyone that wants to deal with it.

Realistically, what are my options? Thanks

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are you working on a coupe, or convertable? Can you post some pictures of the area's that you are working on?
There are a few guys on the board here who have done major reconstructive sheet metal repair, they will have some better insight. A parts car, or other rebuildable shell may be in your future.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Definitely talk to Tom - but I'd say you might be looking at some fairly serious frame rot and maybe more....Bob's ECI post has a wealth of info but you gotta weed through a bunch. Hang in there! Post pics if you can...post your location while your at it....may be somebody nearby could give you tips too.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Posting some pictures would go a long way toward helping us get down to the bottom line on your situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I will post pics tomorrow. It really doesn't LOOK that bad, but when you push on them you can tell pretty easily they are done. OMG at Bob's thread btw, that's just insane. Luckily I don't think I'm in that bad of shape - oddly it seems contained to the front quarter of the frame rails, and the boxes. The floors, etc are intact.

·
Registered
630 Posts
what part of the frame rails are gone? if it is foward of the firewall you can buy the front frame rail through mustangs unlimited for 119.88 ea. part # ffr1 for driverside and ffr2 for passenger side. they also have front frame rail sections, full length inner box, full length outer box, partial front 19" outer patch and front section inner boxed 27".
if it is the area behind the firewall that run under the seats they have inner floor frame rails. old mustangs & cougars are unibody meaning the entire car is pretty much spot welded together.
you will need spot weld cutters or drill bits to cut the spot welds and a mig welder with gas to weld every thing back together. i have done floor pans & tourqe boxes on a few coupes and floor pans tourqe boxes and inner rocker panels on my convt. i am now replacing the inner fenders and radiator support on my 67 390 g.t.
go to mustangsunlimited.com and click on the cougar catalog and download it. or order one sent trough the mail you can also request a catalog when ordering parts if you call them.
a source for good articles with pictures is a subscription to mustang monthly they are built the same from 67 to 70 you might be able to go to their website and look up past technical and how to articles. i keep all my past issues they are invauleable for step by step information with good pics on everything from floor pans to leaky cowl repair to brakes and everything in between.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts