Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm having trouble getting the search function to work.

I can find lots of threads on converting a 67-68 to a convertible, but has anyone tried it on a 69?

I have a 69 with a vinyl top, there is a considerable amount of rust on the roof and I'm not comfortable with trying to repair it in any way other than cutting it off. I'm curious as to what the price comparison would be of cutting off the current top and replacing it with a new one, compared to cutting it off and making it a convertible.

I understand purchasing an actual 69 convertible may be cheaper in the long run, but I already have way too much into this car (disk brakes, power steering, built engine, carb/intake, lokar setup, headers and exhaust, front and rear suspensions, frame reinforcement, etc etc etc.)

Any resources would be great, thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Replacing (or better yet reskinning, see West Coast Classic Cougar about info on doing this) the roof would be far easier and less expensive. Making a convertible would involve fairly extensive fabrication/installation of repro parts and parts would be needed from a '69 convertible as well, mostly in the top boot area.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't think many have tried it on a 69 due to the fact 69 vert's are fairly plentiful and much cheaper than trying to gather parts and make one. There is a few good posts about roof replacement and I saw a few roof sections advertised recently too! For one thing the floor sections are different on a vert in the rear, the seats are different, there would be way more fab work thatn just sectioning/replacing the roof. Either way, it's no walk in the park, but the roof is going to be "easier" and kinder to your wallet.

Get ahold of this member to see if he has or can get you a roof section: JUSSMPLCOUGARS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, I figured as much - but now I know.

I will follow that lead on the available roof, thanks!

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Hey scarecrow1f9, There's a 69 convertible conversion project available in Kentucky that was performed on a rustfree CA chassis. You would need a donor hardtop car to complete some of the reassembly where like components are required. The owner has all of the necessary vert parts from his donor car. The owner is not a member of this forum, so feel free to give me a call if you would like his contact information.

765-661-3078 (verizon)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts