Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone~
I’m a new cougar owner and new to the forum- this is my first classic ford/mercury project

I just picked up a 69 cougar with strong running 302 motor and four barrel carb.

I am planning to do a 2015 or newer boss 302 swap with supercharger. I also wanted to do a more aggressive suspension for cornering and highway driving since i will be ok the freeway most of the time.

I wanted to do deep dish rims with a crappy steely look to them in gloss black and keep the paint with original patina.
Does anyone have suggestions for suspension, rims and tires to make this more of a drifting or track car?

Again the project is more restomod and Top end speed focused - any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome!
Gut it, address rust, lower it & cage it.
It it really did come from California, you're in luck but pull the carpet out and look at the quarters all over. There will be some somewhere.
Change rear end gearing for some off the line grunt and add a limited slip of your choice.
Get some decent front seats mounted.
Change the steering wheel to something smaller & thicker.
Stiffen the uni-body, add adjustable shocks and reinforce the front shock towers.
Sell the old engine to another Cougar owner.
For wheels, there's a LOT of work to do before that needs to be decided on.

·
Contributing Member
5,860 Posts
Check out prostock and drift Mustangs for suspension ideas. Check out CougarBills prostock 69 for ideas

Later model engines won't fit without major surgery - it's easier with a properly developed windsor

do lots of research and have lots of money.

.... and don't forget the brakes.

BTW - after you spend heaps it probably wont be quicker then a 6.3 twin turbo AMG but it might be just about as quick as an A-45

·
Registered
759 Posts
HEAPS of money... Like Scrooge McDuck and ****... LOL! And you still will want more....

The black one is getting a 300HP increase... wanna guess which one?

·
10,982 Posts
I think you could more easily get the results that you want by using one of Ford's 351W based crate motors as the starting point. Then add a turbo and FI to it. For example:
Ford Performance 535 HP Crate Motor

Hey everyone~
I’m a new cougar owner and new to the forum- this is my first classic ford/mercury project

I just picked up a 69 cougar with strong running 302 motor and four barrel carb.

I am planning to do a 2015 or newer boss 302 swap with supercharger. I also wanted to do a more aggressive suspension for cornering and highway driving since i will be ok the freeway most of the time.

I wanted to do deep dish rims with a crappy steely look to them in gloss black and keep the paint with original patina.
Does anyone have suggestions for suspension, rims and tires to make this more of a drifting or track car?

Again the project is more restomod and Top end speed focused - any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts