Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Cougar 351 Windsor 2v 40,000 miles on car has a few seal drips looking for suggestions on whether it would be best to rebuild with 4v etc or buy a crate engine for more HP

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
How much more horsepower? what is your budget?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rebuild to a 4V, because that's what I did :cool: As far as I know the H-code doesn't have many major differences to the M-code, other than the carb, intake, and exhaust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Early 351 W 2V's I have driven will surprise you, lots of power for a stock motor. The first one I drove was in a 69 Mustang. It would smoke the right rear at 30 mph when floor boarded. The trans would three one down shift and smoke the **** out of the right rear. One wheeler but so what. The other two were in Galaxy's so no smoke but they pulled about as strong as the 390 in my 68 Monterey. If there is only 40K on it does it need rebuilding? Fix the oil leaks and add a 4v and some good exhaust.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budget is not to much of a problem somewhere between 3k and 8k. Would like to get to about 350-400 HP. What changes would you make to the original engine. How much work would be envolved in putting the crate engine in.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Depends on what smile factor your after Gary....Your budget allows for a crate, but I'd tend to just upgrade yours. What about decent modern heads/intake/carb/headers? That plus freshen up the seals and gaskets will really wake the ol girl right up. Relatively cheap, but you could start the While I'm at it game - which leads to the crate motor then. - Know whata mean vern?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Don't forget, that with super duper high performance engine, now you need trans, brakes and gears to go with!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought the real difference of the 2V to 4V motors was the pistons. 4V had less dish which up the compression. The heads are the same. Could they have used a different cam between the two?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was always told that the 69 2v heads and 4v heads were different. Am I wrong? I thought thats why there was a difference in compession?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts