Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Question to anybody that might know is, What is the value of a 1969 Cougar convertible with factory 351W and Auto. trans.. The car has some surface rust in the bottom back corner of the doors, Trunk lid underside is pretty bad (probably would have to replace it).It has a bad spot under the Drivers floor the size of a baseball, all i seen wrong with floorpans. Interior is in real good shape other than the chrome inside over the windshield, and dashpad has some cracks. Lights and everthing work good other than Headlight doors will leak up after a while until motor is started. I found the car and I have talked the guy down to $3900.00. IS IT WORTH IT ??????? and can you get parts for these cars. New USER Thanks in Advance for in answers!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Is it an XR7 or standard?

$3900 doesn't sound bad. Trunk lids are fairly cheap. Take it to a body shop to get an estimate before you buy it if you can.

Parts are available. The mechanicals are easy enough to get. The Cougar specific NOS trim (like wheel well mouldings) are nearly impossible and $$$$. Other than that there are usually good used stuff around. A few reproduction parts are being made. Look for the vendor list elsewhere on this site.

Good Luck and have fun!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim B,
It is a standard I'm pretty sure. I haven't seen any XR7 emblems. What is the difference between the Xr7 and the standard.
Thanks Yarddog

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The easiest way to tell is if it has a tach, xr7's do and standards don't. There is also an emblem on the pass side dash and the trunk lid. The car is probably worth the money if its nice other than the problems mentioned. Keep is mind that chrome for these cars can get expensive if you are planning a show restoration. If you like it buy it be cause you will be sorry if you let it slip by. I am hoping for a vert myself, anyone wanna give me one....lol
John
wvcat

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wvcat
Appreciate the input, I'm ignorant about these cars. I'm familiar with F-100's and Vw's and Mustangs, but I'm new with these cars. I've done a little looking on the net for parts and didn't see a lot out there, nothing like the other vehicles i mentioned. I just didn't want to get into something you can't get parts for. I like the cars though because their FORD PRODUCTS and everybody and their brother ain't got one. I've redone a 72 Comet GT and i loved it because it was from the FORD FAMILY and it was different. Body work won't be a problem cause that what I do as occupation.
Thanks again Yarddog

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Yard,
You should brouse thru the vendors links on the homepage here and on the swap board. Of course there's always ebay. Anything you need can be had but some parts are not reproduced and the nos pieces can seem non existant sometimes. That leaves you with good used stuff. One thing you will discover is that cougar people are like a family and if you need something other cats will help you look.:)
happy hunting
John
wvcat

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here's the link to the link for Cougar parts:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/links.php?op=viewlink&cid=4

If you're familiar with Mustangs and Comet GTs it's not much of a stretch to a Cougar. While the Comet shared a lot of sheetmetal with the Maverick the Cougar shares none with the Mustang. The only real difference underneath is the 3" increased wheel base, diferent rear leaf springs is the most notable change. They were built on the same assembly line.

The XR7 is a uplevel Cougar with Leather, different door trim (no wood with pull straps), rocker switches, tach, gauges, clock (on passenger side). The exterior is pretty much the same on a convertible, some have XR7 emblems on the trunk, some don't......Hardtops had the medallions on the roof C pillar.

If you do the body work yourself you're miles ahead and save $$$$$!!!!

We're all here to help you! Go for it! :) We've all been there (or still are LOL ) BTW I love those Comet GTs!!!!!!!!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts